• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Napoleonic Battles - Optional Rules Guide 1.4(4.06)
10-24-2020, 12:33 PM,
RE: Napoleonic Battles series - Optional Rules Guide V 1.0
(10-24-2020, 07:47 AM)BigDuke66 Wrote: @ devoncop
I would like to see some of these examples were cavalry is detached.
If such units were purposely detached then they may better be depicted as own formations with own BG leaders.
If it was not, the C&C has to be reestablished. If that happens by the units moving or the BG leader isn't the matter.
Regarding cavalry leaders it may indeed be more troubling, unfortunately we do not have a higher command range for them like the CW series has, there afaik the cavalry leaders have some hexes more then there infantry counterparts.

@The_General
And you do not mind that formed units can go low/out of ammo when your opponent dances in front of them with skirmishers?
I guess this may be more a question if you have an opponent who does gamey things or not.

I think what he is talking about are situations where the OOB was coded and then engine changes came along later --- in those situations I don't generally think that the OOBs would have been re-coded to make detached units work as detached units -to take advantage of a new set of command rules.

You are correct, I think, that in that sort of situation the OOB would need to be recoded and those independent units would be needed to be put into an independent command structure (possibly just of themselves alone with maybe some sort of a leader).  By and large though the command rules, I think, had allowed for way too much flexibility - in that it sort of is mostly about how big of a footprint that sized unit (say brigade for example) took up on the battle fields -and how far away from its commander that it could effectively function.  In my own project I had wanted a 0 command range prior to this rule - as the formations I was coded were not that flexible and had a limited footprint on the battle field - as such - this rule allowed me to go with a command range of 1 (which was good- because a command range of 0 would have meant arguing a business case for an engine change --- and not arguing those in favour of changes you can actually get is usually a better place to spend your time on.

I love that you took the time to put these together, BD66, (and I think you probably had done it before this ...) - it isn't something that is all that easy to extract from the documentation that comes with the titles - so I know how much effort went in to this.  Nice work, sir. :)
Bydand
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Napoleonic Battles series - Optional Rules Guide V 1.0 - by -72- - 10-24-2020, 12:33 PM