• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Small units as target priority
10-09-2020, 10:23 PM,
Small units as target priority
Is it true that it is advantageous to fire at smaller units in a stack as it is more easy to break their morale and trigger a rout?

If yes I think it shouldn't be that way at all.
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2020, 02:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-10-2020, 02:27 AM by krmiller.)
RE: Small units as target priority
No advantage in shooting at smaller units in the ACW games.
Morale checks are made only if probability result = Loss/Loss+25,
Morale check itself is based on class, possibly modified by such things as
Fatigue Level
Disruption
Low/Out of Ammo
Enfiladed fire
Presence of officer
If you are using the Density Fire Modifier then the number of men IN THE HEX can increase your fire effect.
This rule takes effect above 2/3 stacking so with normal 1000 men per hex stacking,
if one hex has 600 men and another has 700 men you're better off shooting at the alrger stack regardless of which unit you target.

I believe unit strength does play a role in morale checks in the Nappy games but I'm not as familiar with those.

I have modified this post twice because it was double spacing the lines.
10-10-2020, 06:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-10-2020, 06:51 AM by Gary McClellan.)
Now, if it was a large unit that's been worn down to being fairly small, it's a fair bet that it's high fatigue, which does make it more vulnerable, but that's purely reading the situation.
Scenario Designer JTS Midway JTS Seven Years War JTS Wolfpack WDS Kriegsmarine
10-10-2020, 05:01 PM,
Thanks. Yes it is different to the Napoleonic series where the base value of 25 is not fixed but variable and calculated as unit strength / 10 (not less than 25).