• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

[AAR Pz Campaigns:Alamein '42] The Fight for Derna, 1941. (Compass '40 Mod)
09-20-2020, 08:31 AM,
[AAR Pz Campaigns:Alamein '42] The Fight for Derna, 1941. (Compass '40 Mod)
[Image: M7lnw5P.png]

This AAR was originally published in the Hispanic wargames forum "Puntadelanza", I have decided to share it here where many fans of Tiller games gather.

The AAR has been translated from Spanish, unfortunately the texts embedded in the captures could not be modified.
I would also like to say that I am not fluent in English so some phrases or words may be incorrect or confusing.
My apologies in advance.

AAR of the addon that Daniel Asensio (Dantgn) created for the PzC Alamein '42, which he has named Compass' 40, since the main campaign is Compass, as it is extremely extensive, I will opt for one of the smaller scenarios , Derna's, which still lasts 64 turns ....

All credit for the documentary and investigative work, unit pack and set design for Dan. A servant acts only as a chronicler.

There are several ways to deal with AARs, the most common being the literal story of a game. I have preferred to simulate a chronic story supposedly based on the operations diary of the XIII corps, I don't know if the result will be better or worse but it is what I feel like at the moment.

This first post is only a brief presentation.

In case anyone is not aware of the matches played, link to wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_at_Mechili

The scene begins at 00:00 hours on January 23, 1941, after the fall of Bardia (January 5) and Tobruk (January 22), the forces of the British Empire advance relentlessly through Libyan Cyrenaica in pursuit of the remains of the 10th Italian Army.

The 6th Australian Infantry Division takes advantage of the Via Balbia to move close to the coast, while the 7th Armored Division progresses through the interior towards the Mechili road junction.

What they do not know is that the Italians will try to delay their advance and buy time .....

This time I will command the imperial forces.
I provide here the OOB of the same, which has been hard investigated by Daniel ... I recommend you enlarge the image in another window.

[Image: QjEhbvL.png]

Making a very sketchy summary, I command the XIII Army Corps, so I put myself in the boots of Lieutenant General Richard O'Connor.

At my disposal the 6th Australian Infantry Division under General Iven Mackay, the 7th British Armored Tank led by General Michael O'Moore Creagh and several regiment size units plus artillery detachments from the Western Desert Force.

[Image: TQZtbzN.jpg]
Richard O'Connor
[Image: D257jNp.jpg]
Iven McCkay of the Australian Expeditionary Force.
[Image: L5dkQ0H.jpg]

General Creagh commanded the 7th Armored Division.

My forces number about 8,700 men, supported by 350 vehicles of various types and almost 300 pieces of both field and anti-aircraft artillery.

At ground level the 7th Armored was equipped in January 1941 with the usual cans of the time.
Plenty of Mark VIB light tanks, which are best not to over-trust as they are poorly armored.

[Image: z7ubIQE.gif]
A few Cruiser A9 and A13, which at least have a minimally decent barrel.
[Image: q5Tjf64.png]

The ground forces are supported by 14 RAF-

7 bomber squadrons (three equipped with Blenheims, three with Wellingtons and one with the lesser known Bristol Bombay).

[Image: t3q8Pxf.jpg]

-2 recognition
-5 fighter, with Hurricane I and Gladiators.

The map with the objectives to take ...
[Image: cl6y4rf.png]

The main objective, Derna in 1941
[Image: iHiYC75.jpg]

After the introduction, in the next post we start with the action ... [Image: Ok.gif]
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[AAR Pz Campaigns:Alamein '42] The Fight for Derna, 1941. (Compass '40 Mod) - by Halsey74 - 09-20-2020, 08:31 AM