• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

How to create new hard - soft values for new units Japan 45?
09-09-2020, 01:29 AM,
RE: How to create new hard - soft values for new units Japan 45?
hi David,

here is the list I've started typing up. Probably more info than you need. But I can use it as a base to document what I'm doing going forward. Thank you for your time.

240mm howitzer M1. 543Rd, 544th

8” howitzer M1. 435th, 465th, 750th, 789th

A lot of internet resources confuse the following two 4.5” rockets.

Navy 4.5” BR rocket. Head weight 19.9 pounds, 6.5 pound TNT filler. U.S Explosive Ordinance Navy Department May 1947. Fired 36 round “ripple” in a matter of seconds.  https://www.alternatewars.com/BBOW/Weapo...ockets.htm. 2nd, 3rd, 6th, Marine Provisional Rocket Detachments.

Army 4.5” M8 rocket. Total weight 38 pounds, 4 pounds TNT, 4.75 pounds propellant. The Army Almanac A Book of Facts Concerning the Army of the United States Department of the Army 1950. Fired from the 24 tube T66 launcher. The Field Artillery Journal September 1945. 422nd Rocket Field Artillery Battalion.

4.2” M2 chemical mortar. 72nd, 80th, 82nd, 88th, 98th Chemical Mortar Battalions

90mm M3 Gun M36 tank destroyer. M71 HE shell. As proxy for the 90mm AA gun battalions. 161st, 163rd, 166th, 528th, 739th, and others TBD. Their use in “terrestrial” fire missions described in Anti-Aircraft Artillery Activities in the Pacific War by US Armed Forces Pacific. FM44-4 June 1945 describes the employment of 90mm guns against ground and naval targets.

20mm Oerlikon. The Marines used a double barreled version for their antiaircraft battalions. But I’ll take one if you have it. 9th, 17th, 18th, reorganized from defense battalions. Also as direct fire on LCI(G), LCI(L), LCI(M), and LCI®.

TBD whether I get into the gunboats. Reports I’ve read of Iwo Jima have them hanging around for several days. Maybe they’re too effective if the designer thought he had to remove them after one turn.

40mm Bofors. Marine AA battalions, Army AAA AW SM battalions, and direct fire on Navy LCI(L), LCI(M), LCI®, and LCI(G). TBD

.50 M2 machine gun. Distinguished between WC and HB if you have it. Marine anti-aircraft battalions.

Quad .50 M2. As used in Army AAA AW battalions SP and SM. TBD
Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2020, 02:45 AM,
Hi there,

I’ll get to this in the next 24 hours. I’m away from home currently.

David
09-11-2020, 12:28 AM,
Hi there,

Please see attached. these are in the format you need in the units.dat file. You can just copy these entries and append them to the end of the applicable nations units.dat file and they will be available in the OOB editor.

Nearly all the units you requested were in the OOB for Japan '46. I have copied the lines straight out of that game.

I have not included anything for the 4.5" rockets you mentions. I don't have values for those beyond the Calliope tank mounted system. If you want those values, please let me know.

Japan '46 was a new OOB that I did and included a lot of subsequent information and research as compared to the much smaller Japan '45.

Thanks,

David

Attached Files
.zip   Japan 45 additional.zip (Size: 367 bytes / Downloads: 7)
09-11-2020, 06:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-11-2020, 07:05 AM by Mit Sigel.)
Oops. Still getting used to this forum software
09-11-2020, 06:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-11-2020, 07:06 AM by Mit Sigel.)
Whoopsie daisy.
09-11-2020, 07:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-11-2020, 08:05 AM by Mit Sigel. Edit Reason: forgetful )
hi David,

thank you for taking the time to provide those numbers.

I forgot about the M24 tanks. Doh!

I'll take the calliope too please. You can paste the string into a reply and save yourself a step.

The calliope was a sixty tube launcher. The eventual Army rocket battalions used a twenty-four tube launcher. So if the soft value is based on the entire salvo a little math could get me to a reasonable figure for the launcher used by the 422nd.

That should help come up with a decent ball-park number for the Marine rocket units.
09-11-2020, 07:25 PM,
(09-11-2020, 07:02 AM)Mit Sigel Wrote: hi David,

thank you for taking the time to provide those numbers.

I forgot about the M24 tanks. Doh!

I'll take the calliope too please. You can paste the string into a reply and save yourself a step.

The calliope was a sixty tube launcher. The eventual Army rocket battalions used a twenty-four tube launcher. So if the soft value is based on the entire salvo a little math could get me to a reasonable figure for the launcher used by the 422nd.

That should help come up with a decent ball-park number for the Marine rocket units.

Chaffee's are now included. The Calliope was already in Japan '43 but I have included it again.

David

Attached Files
.zip   Japan 45 additional.zip (Size: 428 bytes / Downloads: 3)
09-14-2020, 03:35 AM,
Thank you for taking the time to do this. Much appreciated