• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Please Suggest Me A New SB Title
09-04-2020, 06:49 AM,
RE: Please Suggest Me A New SB Title
Welcome to the best little game in gaming.

I am a confirmed SqB addict. I have been playing PBEM for over eight years and love the series. It really has it all. Big scenarios, little firefights - you name it. I often have times where professional life keeps me quite full, so big monster games wherein I get to rewrite the history of Europe are too much for me.

Perhaps the biggest complaint against SqB is that it is too limited operationally. But that's what I like about it. If you can get into your head that you are a company level commander, and not wearing General's stars, you can get into the spirit of the game. SqB is at a level where Colonel, has told major to take the bloody hill, and now major has gathered you and maybe a few other captains and lieutenants to "GET THE JOB DONE, and no screwing AROUND this time." He ain't interested in your grand-tactical opinion that perhaps we ought bypass this particular stronghold and move to threaten the enemy's supply line thereby forcing him to withdraw. He politely replies, "Get your butt in gear and keep moving, Lt. Dyke."

I only recently bought FWW, so can't say much to it, yet. Best advice I have seen is buy in the theater and period that interests you.

I like PacWar because it covers SO MUCH. IIRC 1937 to 1945, even a Soviet vs Japan scenario! Red Victory is often acclaimed as "THE BEST" SqB game. Curiously, it is not my favorite as it is rather AFV heavy, and that is one area SqB does not do so well. And maybe it's because I always get smoked when I play RV!!

AOTR is great - but it is pretty pro-Wehrmacht. The Sovs have a tough go in most of the scenarios, especially the stock ones. One you did not mention but is a real gem is Winter War. Well researched, late in the life-cycle of the engine, WW is infantry centered but still gives some neat toys with which to play (SKIS!!) Dien Bien Phu is another often overlooked one but is VERY well built with lots of interesting scenarios.

Bottom line - select one that interests you and advert here for PBEM opps. Many of us are decent chaps, most are willing to help a serious newcomer to get oriented. Flash-in-the-pan guys are our bane, so some of the true vets are hesitant to take on newcomers. But most who come will find a few regulars and away you go!

Welcome and Enjoy the best un-sung game in Tiller's line (my own opinion, of course).

Steve
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Please Suggest Me A New SB Title - by Rigafan - 09-04-2020, 05:26 AM
RE: Please Suggest Me A New SB Title - by Rigafan - 09-04-2020, 07:13 AM
RE: Please Suggest Me A New SB Title - by Stejones82 - 09-04-2020, 06:49 AM
RE: Please Suggest Me A New SB Title - by Rigafan - 09-04-2020, 07:18 AM
RE: Please Suggest Me A New SB Title - by todk - 09-04-2020, 07:35 AM
RE: Please Suggest Me A New SB Title - by Rigafan - 09-05-2020, 03:15 AM
RE: Please Suggest Me A New SB Title - by Sean - 09-04-2020, 07:30 PM
RE: Please Suggest Me A New SB Title - by Rigafan - 09-05-2020, 03:23 AM