• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Error reading file
08-23-2020, 02:52 AM,
Help  Error reading file
Hello!

I launched a PBEM of France '14 with a friend who decided to go for FWWC and PZC, however as soon as I send my save file he can't read it and gets the following error message "Error reading file". However when he creates the game and sends it to me no problem, until I send it back to him. We have the same version of the game, we don't use a mod. I assumed that the problem could come from the firewall but I'd like to hear from people who are more used to the game. 

Have a nice day!
Quote this message in a reply
08-23-2020, 03:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-23-2020, 03:14 AM by ComradeP.)
RE: Error reading file
Is it a password-protected file?

Does your opponent receive the password prompt for his side when he tries to open it?

It may sound silly, but are you sure you've finished your (part of the) turn through turn>next?
08-23-2020, 03:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-23-2020, 03:21 AM by Basadovsky.)
(08-23-2020, 03:14 AM)ComradeP Wrote: Is it a password-protected file?

Does your opponent receive the password prompt for his side when he tries to open it?

It may sound silly, but are you sure you've finished your (part of the) turn through turn>next?

We tried with and without password protection, and yes I'm sure I'm done passing my turn at the end (I also had the same thought Big Grin2 )

We also tried it on Napoleonic Campaign Waterloo just now and the same error happened.
08-23-2020, 03:24 AM,
Are you suing the same version of the game?
08-23-2020, 03:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-23-2020, 03:31 AM by ComradeP.)
For FWWC, is the file a .bte file (unzipped or otherwise extracted if it was not sent as a .bte file, I'm not sure if the Napoleonic game uses the same extension) and placed in the main game folder of the correct game by both of you?

When you tried it with password protection, do you get the error before or after it asks for the password?
08-23-2020, 03:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-23-2020, 03:42 AM by Basadovsky.)
Currently we are both using version 1.07 of the game.

After confirmation and screenshot the save is placed in the right game folder.

I ask him about the password problem but for the moment I don't have an answer. But the error occurred even when he had not yet been able to create his password for the first turn.

Do you think it could be a system authorization error or a firewall error?
08-23-2020, 04:19 AM,
It's hard to tell if it's caused by some sort of system security issue, as the error prompts the game created are unfortunately rather vague (basically, it either starts the turn or it doesn't with the "Error reading file" error in most cases).

If I understand your first post correctly, your friend gets an error message but when he starts the game you can open his file normally?

You could try to send the file zipped (either the file itself or a folder with the file in it, moving the turn file to the main game folder after extraction in both cases).

You could also send a turn file for a large scenario like the Early Campaign in France '14 (start it, end the turn, name the file and send it) and compare the size of the file (unzipped) on your end compared to his, picking a larger scenario so a difference in file size is easier to spot.