• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Breastworks
08-21-2020, 04:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-21-2020, 04:09 PM by LarkinVB.)
Breastworks
How long does it take to build breatworks? The PDT file says

Movement: 1        Combat: -30%        Building: 18%

So breastworks do not protect from fire? Are they visible on the map if the unit leaves the hex?
Quote this message in a reply
08-21-2020, 10:42 PM,
RE: Breastworks
(08-21-2020, 04:07 PM)LarkinVB Wrote: How long does it take to build breatworks? The PDT file says

Movement: 1        Combat: -30%        Building: 18%

So breastworks do not protect from fire? Are they visible on the map if the unit leaves the hex?

I'm relatively new to the ACW games so apologies up front if this response is wrong.

How long does it take?  As long as it takes to make that 18% die roll for the unit assigned to construct them.  Could get lucky on the first roll, could go the whole game and the slackards don't manage it.

Do they protect from fire?  Yes, they provide a 30% protection value if the fire comes from the hexside that the breastworks are constructed on.  If you wanted breastworks on all three forward facing hexes of a unit you'd have to make 3 seperate building rolls.  They do remain on map when the unit vacates the hex, and I assume could provide the same benefit to new units that enter the hex, although that last bit I have not looked at very closely.  I think that's the case but my PzC trained brain screams that the protection value drops when you vacate the hex, but I believe that is not the case.

Hope that helps.
08-21-2020, 11:12 PM,
RE: Breastworks
(08-21-2020, 10:42 PM)Steel God Wrote: ......
How long does it take?  As long as it takes to make that 18% die roll for the unit assigned to construct them.  Could get lucky on the first roll, could go the whole game and the slackards don't manage it.

Do they protect from fire?  Yes, they provide a 30% protection value if the fire comes from the hexside that the breastworks are constructed on.  If you wanted breastworks on all three forward facing hexes of a unit you'd have to make 3 seperate building rolls.  They do remain on map when the unit vacates the hex, and I assume could provide the same benefit to new units that enter the hex, although that last bit I have not looked at very closely.  I think that's the case but my PzC trained brain screams that the protection value drops when you vacate the hex, but I believe that is not the case.

Hope that helps.

Your statement about building is correct.
Breastworks do remain on the map and can be used by any unit that occupies them.
A good tactic is to have infantry build breastworks on high ground, place artillery in those then build a set one or two hexes forward for the infantry.
For Fire Breastwork modifiers are additive with Terrain, say breastworks in forest, -30% for breastwork, -40% for Forest, total modifier -70%.
For Melee it is additive with other modifiers, melee through Breastwork hexside -30%, Melee in Flank +20%, total modifier -10%.  As an aside Trenches effect Fire only.
For you newbies Hex Terrain Modifiers effect Fire only, some Hexside modifiers like creek effect Melee only, others effect both.  If you play in 2D hexsides terrain is often difficult to see, if you hold the right mouse button down while on the Hex Info Area, it displays hexsides terrain.