• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

You know your army is in trouble when...
07-23-2020, 05:17 AM,
RE: You know your army is in trouble when...
(07-23-2020, 02:31 AM)Sgt Jasper Wrote:
(07-20-2020, 10:10 PM)CheerfullyInsane Wrote: Yeah, it's a weird little gizmo.
I always thought of it as the Austin Powers weapon.... You know, using sharks with lasers on them instead of something much, much simpler.
Throw the Russian mine-dogs, and the British Panjandrum into that category as well.
In action (more or less)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_dr0arBltU
Ah that was good for a laugh or two. It looked at first like the operators were going to march right up to the detonation point and set it off. Then they put the branch on top of it for camouflage and I thought they were going to launch the attack of the explosive shrubbery with it.
[Image: exercise.png]
Quote this message in a reply
07-23-2020, 09:02 AM,
(07-23-2020, 02:31 AM)Sgt Jasper Wrote:
(07-20-2020, 10:10 PM)CheerfullyInsane Wrote: Yeah, it's a weird little gizmo.
I always thought of it as the Austin Powers weapon.... You know, using sharks with lasers on them instead of something much, much simpler.
Throw the Russian mine-dogs, and the British Panjandrum into that category as well.
In action (more or less)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_dr0arBltU

That was great, seeing it in action (well, a staged attack, but still). Quite advanced considering the technology they must have been dealing with. Perhaps might be more useful against bunkers as opposed to tanks. I wonder how high the operator casualty rate was?
07-23-2020, 01:11 PM,
You know your army is in trouble when...

Its French
Rangers Lead the Way
07-23-2020, 03:42 PM,
(07-23-2020, 01:11 PM)Aaron Wrote: You know your army is in trouble when...

Its French

Many brave Frenchmen died in the Second World War. Dishonoring their memory based on a national stereotype is childish in my view. If I had made a similar 'joke' relating to the United States armed forces I would have been rightly criticized.

The Germans thought the French (and everyone else) inferior but I had hoped in this day and age people were more enlightened. When first encountering the German blitzkrieg, the armies of most nations performed poorly. Should we also laugh at the Poles, Norwegians, Dutch, Belgian, British, Danes, Greek, Yugoslavs and Russians?
07-23-2020, 05:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-23-2020, 06:51 PM by Indragnir.)
(07-23-2020, 03:42 PM)Green Wrote:

Its French

Many brave Frenchmen died in the Second World War. Dishonoring their memory based on a national stereotype is childish in my view. If I had made a similar 'joke' relating to the United States armed forces I would have been rightly criticized.

The Germans thought the French (and everyone else) inferior but I had hoped in this day and age people were more enlightened. When first encountering the German blitzkrieg, the armies of most nations performed poorly. Should we also laugh at the Poles, Norwegians, Dutch, Belgian, British, Danes, Greek, Yugoslavs and Russians?

Regarding frenchs: Just check frenchs in the desert battles (1942 specialy) or the ones battling in europe by 1944. Just to mention a few.

It's the same story for the Italians: by 1943 italians units despite somewhat inferior weapons were regarded by the Allies as tough as the better german units. That's why Monty cancelled the offensive against the italians in Operation Vulcan after a couple of days, Allies casualties were astounding and they couldn't even push back an inch the italian line.
Check what happened at Takrouna just a couple of days before Operation Vulcan started.

Notice allies narrative regarding italians at Sicily was wrong, all based on derogatory reports from some 50-60s historians, this view is being corrected by modern historians and statistical facts. The dog breakfast ended in a horrible battle because of terrain, wheater, germans... and italians troops.
07-23-2020, 06:34 PM,

Its French

And personally knowing Aaron and his contribution to this community with 'Bolt out of the Blue', I can honestly say this was very tongue in cheek.

Respect to all, and their opinions - serious or otherwise!

Now back to Goliath's and Borgwald IV's!!!

David
07-23-2020, 06:50 PM,
(07-23-2020, 06:34 PM)Strela Wrote:

Its French

And personally knowing Aaron and his contribution to this community with 'Bolt out of the Blue', I can honestly say this was very tongue in cheek.

Respect to all, and their opinions - serious or otherwise!

Now back to Goliath's and Borgwald IV's!!!

David

Now I fear the worst for poor frenchs in BOTB! j/k ;)

I'm sorry if I sound too harsh, some times typed text doesn't help getting the whole picture.
07-23-2020, 11:13 PM,
From what I remember reading, a lot of French and Italian soldiers were actually pretty decent. Most of their officers sucked or were too entrenched in their thinking and lessons from WW1.
07-24-2020, 02:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-24-2020, 02:24 PM by Aaron.)
Its a little rubbing guys and maybe gals. Theres always rubbing between nations in training and even inter service, we definitely sling it back and forth constantly. I work with a couple Marines, cough , cough.. They tell me a Ranger in the Marines is a private. It doesn't bother me, i find it kinda funny. Id tell you what a Marine is but.....................

Aaron

My apologies to those i have offended
Rangers Lead the Way
07-24-2020, 08:06 PM,
(07-24-2020, 02:23 PM)Aaron Wrote: Its a little rubbing guys and maybe gals. Theres always rubbing between nations in training and even inter service, we definitely sling it back and forth constantly.  I work with a couple Marines, cough , cough.. They tell me a Ranger in the Marines is a private. It doesn't bother me, i find it kinda funny.  Id tell you what a Marine is but.....................

Aaron

My apologies to those i have offended

Aaron,

In the French army, we eat a Ranger/Marine every morning with a coffee and a croissant.
In the foreign legion, we eat them with a beer.

Long live the breakfasts and the Franco-American friendship !