• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Setting the Advantage - what does it change?
07-14-2020, 11:57 PM,
Setting the Advantage - what does it change?
Apologies in advance if this is documented somewhere but I have searched and not found it.

From reading the forums it seems that for solitaire play setting the advantage between +20 and +40 for solitaire play is recommended but does this actually change?

E.g. if I set it at +20 for the AI does it give it bigger units (20% "more stuff"?), better units (increase their attributes by 'x' amount?), make it more effective in combat (its firing more lethal or tougher defence values?). Maybe it gives it another advantage or a combination of any or all of these? Or does it apply to the players units - e.g. units 20% smaller etc? 

The reason I ask is I only really play solo (I know I should play H2H but for various reasons I generally prefer not to) and I'd like to have some understanding of what altering this value does before embarking on my next big game.

Many thanks for any information

Ben
Quote this message in a reply
07-15-2020, 12:35 AM,
RE: Setting the Advantage - what does it change?
I have tested it and increases the casualties inflicted by the side that has the advantage and increases the probability of an assault taking a bunker or pillbox. In the Napoleonic series, if you slide all the way in one direction, you can have a skirmish unit wipe out whole regiments.

There may be other changes, but, those are the ones I have observed.
07-21-2020, 04:46 PM,
(07-15-2020, 12:35 AM)wildb Wrote: I have tested it and increases the casualties inflicted by the side that has the advantage and increases the probability of an assault taking a bunker or pillbox.  In the Napoleonic series, if you slide all the way in one direction, you can have a skirmish unit wipe out whole regiments.

There may be other changes, but, those are the ones I have observed.

Interesting. Could you please give an example in which measure the casualties increase?

And are there perhaps others who know whether there are other effects of setting the advantage high for one side?
07-21-2020, 09:20 PM,
Sicily 43 - Started: A Route to Ribera or "A Bridge Too Far"

American 7 Canon at hex 22,18 firing at Italian unit at hex 19,15

Advantage all the way for the Allies:

Target unit: Unknown
Loss of 3 men to target unit
*** Target unit disrupted ***
Range = 5 Modifier = 0%
Fire = 52

Loss of 2 men to target unit
Range = 5 Modifier = 0%
Fire = 52

Advantage - Neutral

Range = 5 Modifier = 0%
Fire = 52

Range = 5 Modifier = 0%
Fire = 52

Advantage all the way for Axis

Fire had no effect
Range = 5 Modifier = 0%
Fire = 52

Loss of 1 man to target unit
Range = 5 Modifier = 0%
Fire = 52
07-21-2020, 09:52 PM,
I also ran some tests when the OP created the thread, but didn't see any difference in the actual Fire or Assault values.

That makes the advantage in terms of additional/fewer losses sustained difficult to quantify.
07-22-2020, 12:22 AM,
Thank you both for your reaction. I haven't found any information in the manual either, although one would expect that. I sometimes have the impression the number of casualties in PZC is too low. Do you agree with that or do you think it's realistic or even spot?
07-22-2020, 03:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-22-2020, 03:59 AM by Lowlander.)
A link posted by devoncop in the Napoleonic Wars forum above led me to this video on John Tiller Napoleonic games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBEO7pqyB8A

Could this function be added to the Panzer Campaign series games to help the AI.
As the opposing player in theory you could access the AI and give orders from the menu as demonstrated in the video.
07-22-2020, 11:09 PM,
Giving the ai the advantage should increase casualties or percentage of casualties or firepower by 25-50%. It doesn't matter either way. The ai is still the ai. It doesn't make it smarter.

I think playing against the ai is a waste of time anyway. Testing things is good. But, playing? You really should pbem. If you don't enjoy it, try again. It could have been an obnoxiuos opp. Very rare though. If the turns are not fast enough, get more games started.

My 2 cents.
07-23-2020, 12:54 AM,
(07-22-2020, 11:09 PM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: Giving the ai the advantage should increase casualties or percentage of casualties or firepower by 25-50%.  It doesn't matter either way.  The ai is still the ai.  It doesn't make it smarter.  

I think playing against the ai is a waste of time anyway.  Testing things is good.  But, playing?  You really should pbem.  If you don't enjoy it, try again.  It could have been an obnoxiuos opp.  Very rare though.  If the turns are not fast enough, get more games started.

My 2 cents.

Quick reply because something timed out at the last attempt.

Was a member of a large wargames club for decades, table top face to face various periods, and the odd boardgame, we entered national competitions as individuals and in teams.
Then switched to PBEM for for almost 2 decades.

From memory the last survey conducted on behalf of John Tiller revealed most gamers only play against the AI.
07-23-2020, 10:51 PM,
That just shows you how many are missing out. It is much more of a challenge, not to mention fun, to play against somebody that has the ability to change their mind at any time.