• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Graphics
07-14-2020, 03:14 PM,
Graphics
Just started playing the games again. Is there any way to get the old graphics back for the counters especially for vehicles. The top down view is pathetic as you can't really tell what you have.
Quote this message in a reply
07-14-2020, 05:51 PM,
RE: Graphics
Lol. There have, I think, been a lot of similar complaints. Warhorse - who did the conversion to top down, I think (though it wasn't his mod originally) is now trying with help from some players to identify the issues that arise when you try to revert, and fix them. There is another thread somewhere in here referring to that effort.

Presently, there is, sometimes, a folder with the old graphics (allegedly) in the game folder, sometimes under the 'Notes' folder in there, sometimes elsewhere. Just have a quick look in the folders for something mentioning original graphics. You can then swap out those files. But there are so many errors when you do that (the wrong pictures appearing) that it's not worth it at present. Hence Warhorse and others are kindly trying to fix it.

So, like you, I'm waiting for the fix. I would say again that I think it was quite an interesting decision on the part of JTS to bundle the top down graphics change with an update, when many of us didn't like the top down graphics at all, and we didn't buy a game that had those graphics (indeed, if the games had had those graphics I wouldn't have bought them in the first place). I hope they're paying Warhorse to fix it.
07-15-2020, 09:34 AM,
Yup, am currently working on AoTR vehicles, they are a mess, since the "original graphics" are not the right ones, but are from RV! I didn't have the originals because quite frankly I couldn't stand them, they were mostly butt ugly, so am fixing all those as I go as well, a LOT of work. Kinda sucks because I don't like them, but have to admit the new ones will look sooo much nicer!
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
07-15-2020, 09:38 AM,
(07-14-2020, 03:14 PM)Bioman Wrote: Just started playing the games again. Is there any way to get the old graphics back for the counters especially for vehicles. The top down view is pathetic as you can't really tell what you have.

Sorry they seem pathetic, those damn things sometimes take a couple hours to make from a blueprint, I'll have you know. Just sayin.... Angry Mob
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

07-15-2020, 07:05 PM,
Not your fault, Warhorse. I'm a big fan of many of your mods (FWWC map, for example) I'm playing with the top down graphics (because no option) but like Bioman I do find it hard to work out which vehicle I'm looking at when viewed top down, and that's because the concept is like that, I think, not because of your work, which I'm sure is excellent. But the fact is, I'm not used to recognizing these WW2 vehicles from that position, what I'm used to is a simple profile view. So with the top down graphics I have to read the description to find out what the vehicle is.

And why 3 soldiers in the TD view of leaders, when there's only one leader there?

The map graphics, on the other hand, are very nice.
07-16-2020, 12:52 AM,
(07-15-2020, 07:05 PM)phoenix Wrote: And why 3 soldiers in the TD view of leaders, when there's only one leader there? 

Ed, who was the original creator of the Top-Down mod, originally created the mod using only one soldier, just like the original art work used.

[Image: DBP2DUnits100.jpg]

At some point, he bounced the number up to three.

Before Top Down, some of the guys like JMass were releasing unit images based off of ASL counters.

[Image: 2DUnits100.jpg]

As far as I am aware of, it is not possible to have a single Top-Down image for just leaders while also using three Top-Down soldiers representing the rest of the squad.

It has to be one or the other.
07-16-2020, 06:36 AM,
(07-16-2020, 12:52 AM)Compass Rose Wrote:
(07-15-2020, 07:05 PM)phoenix Wrote: And why 3 soldiers in the TD view of leaders, when there's only one leader there? 

Ed, who was the original creator of the Top-Down mod, originally created the mod using only one soldier, just like the original art work used.

[Image: DBP2DUnits100.jpg]

At some point, he bounced the number up to three.

Before Top Down, some of the guys like JMass were releasing unit images based off of ASL counters.

[Image: 2DUnits100.jpg]

As far as I am aware of, it is not possible to have a single Top-Down image for just leaders while also using three Top-Down soldiers representing the rest of the squad.

It has to be one or the other.

Actually, in all my mods, the Forgotten War, and the upcoming WW2 Mod, mine all have single man leaders, however, this is a TON of work to be compatible with existing scenario's, and required me in Korea to go through each scenario and make sure the leaders were one man, and the others had multiple, I use the first image slot, but the program sometimes used that for other units as well, so must go through EVERY scenario, not fun!!
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

07-16-2020, 09:57 PM,
Mmm. But in the original (non TD) graphics this confusion wasn't there, right?
07-17-2020, 05:58 AM,
Yes, always has been, there were faces before, right?
Meine Ehre heisst Treue