• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Question regarding PZC Tunesia 43
07-03-2020, 06:14 AM,
Question regarding PZC Tunesia 43
I'm considering buying some games in the sale, including Tunesia 43. What I would like to know is whether the Tunesia map contains Exit areas in order to be able to evacuate the German-Italian units out of Tunesia before the end. Or is it possible to add Exit objectives?
Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2020, 07:05 AM,
RE: Question regarding PZC Tunesia 43
I don't believe there are any in the campaign, but would have to check to be sure - I don't currently have the game installed and probably be a few days before I can. However, they can definitely be added. Add some tweaks to the victory levels for that, and you could balance it out in some way.
[Image: exercise.png]
07-03-2020, 07:34 AM,
Allied control of the air and sea made large scale evacuations not possible.

On 22 April 1943, 27 ME 323 transport aircraft were carrying supplies to Tunisia. Only 7 aircraft made it and the other 20 were shot down.
07-03-2020, 03:19 PM,
(07-03-2020, 07:05 AM)Ricky B Wrote: I don't believe there are any in the campaign, but would have to check to be sure - I don't currently have the game installed and probably be a few days before I can. However, they can definitely be added. Add some tweaks to the victory levels for that, and you could balance it out in some way.

Thanks, Ricky, I will probably buy this game anyway, but please let me know.
07-03-2020, 03:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-03-2020, 03:26 PM by Aragorn.)
(07-03-2020, 07:34 AM)wildb Wrote: Allied control of the air and sea made large scale evacuations not possible.

On 22 April 1943, 27 ME 323 transport aircraft were carrying supplies to Tunisia.  Only 7 aircraft made it and the other 20 were shot down.

I know that. It's just for the sake of fiction, like a breakout of the Stalingrad pocket. I like alternative scenarios. But thanks for mentioning it.
07-06-2020, 04:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-06-2020, 10:23 AM by Kool Kat.)
(07-03-2020, 06:14 AM)Aragorn Wrote: I'm considering buying some games in the sale, including Tunesia 43. What I would like to know is whether the Tunesia map contains Exit areas in order to be able to evacuate the German-Italian units out of Tunesia before the end. Or is it possible to add Exit objectives?

Disregard my previous post.
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
07-06-2020, 05:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-06-2020, 09:39 PM by Kool Kat.)
(07-03-2020, 07:34 AM)wildb Wrote: Allied control of the air and sea made large scale evacuations not possible.

On 22 April 1943, 27 ME 323 transport aircraft were carrying supplies to Tunisia.  Only 7 aircraft made it and the other 20 were shot down.

Disregard my previous post.
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
07-06-2020, 05:53 AM,
That was the evacuation from Messina, Sicily to the mainland of Italy.

Butcher added—the failure to land HUSKY forces “on both sides of the Messina Strait, thus cutting off all Sicily.” “It is astonishing that the enemy has not made stronger attacks in the past days,” the commander of the Messina flotilla, Captain Gustav von Liebenstein, told his war diary on August 15.

Atkinson, Rick. The Day of Battle: The War in Sicily and Italy, 1943-1944 (The Liberation Trilogy Book 2) (p. 168). Henry Holt and Co.. Kindle Edition.

A few escaped, in dinghies or by lashing themselves to the undercarriages of the last overloaded Axis planes to leave. Ultra eventually disclosed that only 632 men were evacuated in the final days;

Atkinson, Rick. An Army at Dawn: The War in North Africa, 1942-1943, Volume One of the Liberation Trilogy . Henry Holt and Co.. Kindle Edition.

You are correct for Sicily 43 but not Tunisia 43.
07-06-2020, 06:16 AM,
(07-06-2020, 05:53 AM)wildb Wrote: That was the evacuation from Messina, Sicily to the mainland of Italy.

Butcher added—the failure to land HUSKY forces “on both sides of the Messina Strait, thus cutting off all Sicily.” “It is astonishing that the enemy has not made stronger attacks in the past days,” the commander of the Messina flotilla, Captain Gustav von Liebenstein, told his war diary on August 15.

Atkinson, Rick. The Day of Battle: The War in Sicily and Italy, 1943-1944 (The Liberation Trilogy Book 2) (p. 168). Henry Holt and Co.. Kindle Edition.

A few escaped, in dinghies or by lashing themselves to the undercarriages of the last overloaded Axis planes to leave. Ultra eventually disclosed that only 632 men were evacuated in the final days;

Atkinson, Rick. An Army at Dawn: The War in North Africa, 1942-1943, Volume One of the Liberation Trilogy . Henry Holt and Co.. Kindle Edition.

Always good to be corrected... when you are wrong!  Whistle
Send this user an email
07-06-2020, 07:33 AM,
(07-06-2020, 05:53 AM)wildb Wrote: That was the evacuation from Messina, Sicily to the mainland of Italy.

You're right.

However some (parts) of units did escape from Tunis to Sicily, even more were waiting for transfer to Africa and never got the chance to do so. That's why HG division was in Tunis fighting and a couple of months later fighting again in Sicily.
Anyway the number of evacuated was not great once Allies got the air-sea blockade on. It was so effective that sank/shot down about 80% of supply and reinforcements sent to Tunis even before Operation Vulcan started.
For example 679 men from 10th PzDiv escaped to Italy, only 153 from 21st PzDiv, 212 from 90th Light Division etc.