• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

MC Helo Units
07-03-2020, 12:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-03-2020, 12:14 AM by Indragnir.)
RE: MC Helo Units
(07-02-2020, 09:47 PM)Elxaime Wrote: Hi -

I think some good suggestions on helos, especially the idea of making them into airstrikes that are attached to a particular organization.

That would also address the issue in Bolt from the Blue with Warsaw Pact helos able to rampage nearly unchecked.  A good Pact player who understands the NATO OOB will know which NATO formations lack significant anti-air capability (the SAM vehicles are the only real threat, at least until the fixed batteries unfix, as the 2 hex anti-air vehicles are easily destroyed if they show themselves).  Then all the Pact has to do is form their Hinds into stacks and melt any NATO MBT which shows itself.  Meanwhile, Pact artillery takes care of any soft units.  Once the 10-hex range NATO anti-air SAM vehicles are destroyed (not that hard to do since there are so few) then NATO is completely helpless.

I think RL doctrine behind the lack of NATO anti-Hind capability was that NATO air superiority would make the battlefield an impermissive environment for Pact helos.  However, in the game, air interdiction doesn't affect helo units.  

If you make them air-groups, that changes.  

Some may feel this would gimp attack helos too much.  It's a judgment call.  I happen to think a modern battlefield would make attack helos much less effective, as there are just too many threats.  But your mileage may vary.

I agree, it's just a matter of adjusting the number of helo strikes and their strength taking into account Air Availability % , Air Interception per side and the limitations from being attached to a given formation LOS spotting.

I must say Helos are the most powerful units in the game, as I said in the other post. Specialy against NATO.
(I'm the WP player in this our third game Elexaime vs me.)

WWIII mod just give all infantry units AA range 2, helos went from top to bottom. Didn't like it.

That's why my initial solution was giving range 3 IF to those ADA units (Gepard, Vulcan and Shilka). With that range they can be put behind the armor and fire against helos. Could even work without IF if you use terrain and LOS (it's time consuming)
Quote this message in a reply