• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Panzer Campaigns teaser guessing thread
06-08-2020, 05:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-08-2020, 05:45 PM by phoenix.)
RE: Panzer Campaigns teaser guessing thread
It absolutely must be Daugavpils, otherwise that city has a twin. The lakes and water on ComradeP's map match exactly.

Like ComradeP I don't, however, undertand how it's 'the same map'.
Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2020, 06:07 PM,
Perhaps the map looks something like this?

[Image: poland.jpg]
06-08-2020, 06:13 PM,
(06-08-2020, 06:07 PM)Green Wrote: Perhaps the map looks something like this?

[Image: poland.jpg]

LOL!
06-08-2020, 07:18 PM,
(06-08-2020, 05:41 PM)phoenix Wrote: Could you every now and then post without the hexes, please, David?  That's how quite a few of us will be playing it, I believe.  Thanks.

The smooth river and road lines is a very great improvement. It has a much more naturalistic look.

Just for you Peter. This is a quick and dirty - just the ground tiles. The hex won't be in the water hexes etc.

[Image: Post%2020200608_03.png]

David
06-08-2020, 07:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-08-2020, 07:40 PM by phoenix.)
Cool! Thanks! I can see it now!

And it's Daugavpils, right?

Just curious, David - with the new resolution, how many pixels width are those hex edges? I will need to thin them a little, I think, as I've done for the Gold series edges. I've thinned the gold edges to 1 pixel width in most titles, which is a little awkward (I have to move the line too, so it lines up with the actual hex) - I'm wondering if now you have more pixels to play with those hex edges are more than 3 pixels width (which, I think, is what the default Gold hex edges were)?

The standard Gold series non-hex tiles look like the pic below (the hex edge slopes are modded to be only 1 pixel width). There's no flash bulb effect at all. There is a very gentle pattern. I think it looks just great, just like that, and would much prefer this to the version with the flash bulb effect. The flash bulb effect reveals the hex, I suppose. I suppose that's the rationale for it? But if I need to see the hexes I can switch on the hex grid. 

[Image: 1.png]
06-08-2020, 07:33 PM,
(06-08-2020, 07:23 PM)phoenix Wrote: Cool! Thanks! I can see it now!

And it's Daugavpils, right?

Just curious, David - with the new resolution, how many pixels width are those hex edges? I will need to thin them a little, I think, as I've done for the Gold series edges. I've thinned the gold edges to 1 pixel width in most titles, which is a little awkward (I have to move the line too, so it lines up with the actual hex) - I'm wondering if now you have more pixels to play with those hex edges are more than 3 pixels width (which, I think, is what the default Gold hex edges were)?

Hi Peter,

As far as the location, I'll let you all stew on it for a bit longer. As ComradeP says its 1,100 km from Wien...!  Helmet Wink

As mentioned the hex size is 4 times bigger going from 900 to 3,600 pixels. I assume you're talking about the slope hex sides? If so, they have come across from Panzer Battles and are 5 pixels wide in the higher resolution. So you can definitely thin them down if you like, but they are pretty narrow here. For reference that would have meant the Gold version slope hex sides were 12 pixels wide (3 pixels X 4).

David
06-08-2020, 08:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-08-2020, 08:10 PM by Fhil.)
You say it´s on the same map right?
From the first glance, it looks like our capital city of Slovakia - Bratislava...not that far from Wien  Helmet Smile
06-08-2020, 08:15 PM,
(06-08-2020, 08:01 PM)Fhil Wrote: You say it´s on the same map right?
From the first glance, it looks like our capital city of Slovakia - Bratislava...not that far from Wien  Helmet Smile

Yes, it's on the same map.

I love Bratislava, have been there a number of times. My wife has won the UFO Vertical Sprint there five times!

David
06-08-2020, 11:20 PM,
(06-08-2020, 08:15 PM)Strela Wrote: Yes, it's on the same map.

I love Bratislava, have been there a number of times. My wife has won the UFO Vertical Sprint there five times!

David

If ComradeP is correct, it could be Poland is being worked on or it could be that they have a very large Master Map that they can carve out whatever campaign is being worked on.

Now, about this calling your wife an Unidentified Flying Object, there has to be some sort of blackmail in there somewhere.   Big Grin
06-09-2020, 02:26 AM,
I looked at Bratislava as well, but the lakes don't match, I'd expect the Morava to be visible in the screenshot and the Danube takes a sharp turn south, flowing directly east of the part of the city on the right bank.

An enormous master map of Central/Eastern Europe or even the entirety of Europe is a possibility. It takes a lot of time, but it would save a lot of time for future projects as well.