• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Panzer Campaigns teaser guessing thread
06-06-2020, 04:57 AM,
RE: Panzer Campaigns teaser guessing thread
I checked Vienna in the morning as well, using Google maps, but it didn't seem to fit due to the city being spread across both banks (albeit only slightly on the left bank) and the urbanization of the island. I couldn't find an accurate city plan, but did find the wartime damage archive maps.

The first post by phoenix prompted a double take with an actual wartime map.
Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2020, 06:43 AM,
(06-05-2020, 10:24 PM)Strela Wrote: Now for the conjecture on why Vienna might be on a map!!!   Whistle
I assume an alternative history game like the Japan tiles. In this case US & Russian troops race for Vienna to gain the secret Sachertorte receipt to force Hitlers surrender.
06-06-2020, 08:00 AM,
Vienna '46

After being unable to agree on a division of post WW2 Germany, the Allies and the Soviets go to war.
06-06-2020, 08:23 AM,
After their defeat in Budapest 45, the German 6th Army will make its last stand in Vienna 45.
06-07-2020, 01:44 AM,
Good job catching the hidding city  Helmet Wink

Well, like Scheltd44 this title catch me with guard down, i cant say a lot about Vienna actions in 1945, maybe is going to be a title more oneside than Minsk44 BUT both sides could have quality problems (maybe some soviet units could be E and germans are going to be more C-D or worst) and title could have extra scens to complete it like cover actions in Balcans and the change of side from ex german allies... and why not add west allies and a first taste of a 1946 WWIII what if.

I admit a scen in 1945-46 with east VS west is attractive... german units of all types to complete west allies VS the red steamroller... maybe here we can see a lower scale combat...

Who knows, last releases from Tiller where surprising but very satisfying  Helmet Smile
06-08-2020, 03:24 AM,
I had really hoped for a Warsaw 44 or Baltics 44/45 game. But yes, nice map.
06-08-2020, 07:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-08-2020, 07:50 AM by Xaver.)
Well, late war in east is only explored in one title in the serie, even a what if with WWIII war in mind is an interesting point, maybe a what if less "academic" and more exploring new grounds, compared with Sealion and Pacific titles.

But is true that early east front is not totally covered and things like Poland and Winter War are still MIA... here a title with Winter War + continuation war could offer a interesting game, a game covering Winter was appear some weeks ago in Steam, is in the line of "Battles for Spain" using WaW engine but adapted.

Any way every new PzC title is allways wellcome.
06-08-2020, 01:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-08-2020, 01:41 PM by Strela.)
I'm planning a blog post on the new maps the map makers have been working on during shut down. Lets just say the map makers are way ahead of the scenario designers!

Let's keep this teaser thread interesting and up the difficulty. Congrats to the guys that picked Wein/Vienna almost straight away!

Here is another city on the same map. Its pretty distinctive in its positioning on a river. Also note this image uses some of the next revision of graphics. Things like rivers and streams have been made more distinctive and the 'flash-bulb' effect in hex has been reduced.

[Image: Post%2020200608_01.png]

Here is a comparative image before the flash-bulb was reduced. With the reduction the hexes look flatter, but the flash-bulb effect is much reduced on darker hexes where it was looking over the top.

[Image: Post%2020200608_02.png]

So what is name of this city?

David
06-08-2020, 04:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-08-2020, 04:46 PM by ComradeP.)
The same map?

It looks like Daugavpils on the Daugava/Western Dvina, but that's nearly 1100 kilometres from Vienna.

The search continues.

[Image: X0yRd6S.jpg]
06-08-2020, 05:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-08-2020, 05:42 PM by phoenix.)
Could you every now and then post without the hexes, please, David? That's how quite a few of us will be playing it, I believe. Thanks.

The smooth river and road lines is a very great improvement. It has a much more naturalistic look.