• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

May Windows Update 2004
06-01-2020, 06:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-01-2020, 06:25 AM by Scud. Edit Reason: typo )
May Windows Update 2004
I got the "Updates Ready" alert on Thursday, so went ahead with the #2004 Windows featured update. What a nightmare. Couldn't get online, reboots would take forever, 30 mins or more, then I'd get online, but something else would crash and I'd get knocked off again. Sometimes no start menu or no task manager. I ran tests for corrupt files or disk problems and all good. I finally gave up and rolled everything back this morning (you never know if that's going to work). Rolling back, thankfully, was painless and all is well.

One of the known bugs is with some display drivers if you're using a dedicated video card, so update those first before you attempt updating Windows. There are also known bugs with networking and wireless cards. Around 10 bugs that they're admitting to, but I'll bet there are a lot more.

So, my advice, make sure you have a backup and hold off clicking the update now button for a bit until they address some of this stuff.  Smile

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2020, 07:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-10-2020, 05:42 PM by Lowlander.)
RE: May Windows Update 2004
I feel your pain, had a major problem with a minor update which I learned to block a few years back.

Edit, I did a clean up after this MEGA feature update, 33.5GB removed !!!, another update KB4557957 installed today.
Quote this message in a reply