• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Changes planned for Napoleonic titles.
06-10-2020, 04:34 AM,
RE: Changes planned for Napoleonic titles.
Problem is that the opposite can also happen, you trigger a lot of auto fire and then we have people complaining about that.

I know it's a hassle to game in phases, I can only suggest to do small scenario online. A secession on the weekend might allow you to finish such a scenario right away. And the large ones are not so bad in phases as people tend to need days to do a complete turn while they are able to do the smaller phases on a daily base.

As for the exchange, maybe file exchange via www.dropbox.com would be an option. at least the boardgamers use that or similar services for their exchanges.
Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2020, 07:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-10-2020, 07:09 AM by LarkinVB.)
I appreciate that you try to help but I think there are no good reasons for such bad auto defense fire code.

Two simple lines of code could have fixed the problem I described.

Code:
if (not_yet_fired == true and distance_to_enemy == 1)
    do_fire();

I do understand it may be a bit more complicated but certainly I can write a working code in a few hours.

Me and my friend are not into small scenarios and we had a blast and loved playing the Quate Bras & Ligny campaign scenario until it was obvious that the defensive fire routine is broken and we can't go on.

I hope they can fix the AI code for this but I'm surprised it hadn't been reported since 2014.
06-23-2020, 04:18 AM,
After a long back and forth they increased the chance for auto defensive fire for v1.08.
06-23-2020, 06:08 AM,
Chance?
AFAIK "Units defending in Melee fire at 100% fire." means that a unit will not fir with 50% but 100% in case of fire being triggered by melee. This seems similar to the OR that is used in the CW series.
06-23-2020, 06:17 AM,
Auto defensive fire is triggered by chance and not every time. They increased that chance.
What "Units defending in Melee fire at 100%" really means I don't know but it certainly does not mean a unit fires with 100% certainty with auto defensive fire.
06-23-2020, 07:02 AM,
I know, but that they increased the chance is not in the changelog.
And what the 100% fire means is clear as DF fires just at 50%, now it seems to do it at 100% so dmage is double of what it used to be.
As I said, that is possible similar to the OR in the CW series that also ensures 100% fire IF auto DF is triggered by a melee.
06-23-2020, 03:42 PM,
Based upon the conversations that I have been part of, for what it's worth, I would not expect any further engine coding changes being made.
Send this user an email
06-23-2020, 05:46 PM,
(06-23-2020, 07:02 AM)BigDuke66 Wrote: I know, but that they increased the chance is not in the changelog.
And what the 100% fire means is clear as DF fires just at 50%, now it seems to do it at 100% so dmage is double of what it used to be.
As I said, that is possible similar to the OR in the CW series that also ensures 100% fire IF auto DF is triggered by a melee.

The increased chance was communicated by Rich from JTS and I tested it. No clue why it isn't in the changelog.
06-24-2020, 12:37 AM,
(06-23-2020, 05:46 PM)LarkinVB Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 07:02 AM)BigDuke66 Wrote: I know, but that they increased the chance is not in the changelog.

The increased chance was communicated by Rich from JTS and I tested it. No clue why it isn't in the changelog.

Any estimated guess of the % chance to opp fire pre and post patch?

Seems odd that JTS would want to create such a change in gameplay mechanics going from no defensive fire to defensive fire modes of play, after all defensive fire is just one of several phases with defensive fire mode which inhibits mini-maxing play style.  Increasing the chances of opp fire really seems too much considering in my current Nap games units  opp fire 1-2 times and rarely do the extreme: fail to opp fire at all or do it three times!!  ( assuming the attacker crossing into 1 then 2 hexes of ranged fire and then melees)
06-24-2020, 05:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-24-2020, 05:07 AM by LarkinVB.)
Well, in my game 3 regiments of cavalry were charging 2 batteries of artillery from 5 hex distance and both batteries didn't fire a single shot. Made the game unplayable. I'm glad they fixed this a bit.