• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Changes planned for Napoleonic titles.
06-05-2020, 04:04 AM,
RE: Changes planned for Napoleonic titles.
Thanks!
Greetings, HaPe
Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2020, 11:20 AM,
(06-03-2020, 06:29 PM)phoenix Wrote: For all these reasons could we not stress to JTS that it would be great if they were to update the game and graphics separately, so that people who have already paid their money, already spent a lot of time modding etc, are not forced to lose all that just to keep up to date with game changes. Why can't that happen?

You can always apply the update to a new folder and then pick out the pieces you want. Many customers struggle with separating things out, so we try and make it as easy as possible. Many people do not have significant computer skills.
06-07-2020, 04:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-07-2020, 04:21 AM by phoenix.)
(06-06-2020, 11:20 AM)rahamy Wrote:
(06-03-2020, 06:29 PM)phoenix Wrote: For all these reasons could we not stress to JTS that it would be great if they were to update the game and graphics separately, so that people who have already paid their money, already spent a lot of time modding etc, are not forced to lose all that just to keep up to date with game changes. Why can't that happen?

You can always apply the update to a new folder and then pick out the pieces you want. Many customers struggle with separating things out, so we try and make it as easy as possible. Many people do not have significant computer skills.

That's true, Richard, if you (JTS) keep the graphics file sizes the same when you change things. But the size of each graphics file differs between the ACW and Napoleonic series, I think, so picking and choosing will be problematic if you go for that kind of change. 

Thanks. Glad you're looking here, anyway!

Peter
06-07-2020, 02:28 PM,
Guys,

I'm also following this thread.

A couple of points to ensure that there are no misconceptions. There will not be a switch in game like there is in ACW to change graphics with say Nato symbols on vs off. Why? Because the Napoleonic series is with JTS for programming where as ACW is with WDS. Berto added the extra switch in for that series.

I might in consideration of the long term support you guys have provided John Tiller see what is involved in providing both the 2D non Nato ACW unit artwork as well as a version of the new graphics without the coloured Nato symbols. You would have to manually replace these, but they would be available in builds going forward. Is that a possible solution?

As mentioned in both the blog and the posts on the PzC forum we are trying to both align and differentiate the different scales of the various game systems and the ACW and Napoleonic series align pretty nicely in terms of scale and the type of infrastructure present.

I will talk to rich on how we leave the ability to restore legacy graphics if necessary, the same as we're doing for PzC with the previously released Gold graphics.

As also mentioned by others, the enhanced graphics are a great chance for the modders to really run wild. there is a lot more space to work.

Thanks,

David
06-08-2020, 02:11 AM,
This irritates me, I had assume, because of the "2019 End of Year Update – Part One" blog entry, that WDS will in the future work on all games of Tiller.
The blog notes:
"Working closely with the John Tiller Software (JTS) team, it was decided to update the whole of John’s catalog with improvements to code, graphics and where possible new content."

I hope that this means th level that WDS had reached in the CW series would also be applied to the Napy series. New graphics are good but mods out there already tried to improve graphics, the higher playability by more hotkeyes, the saving of settings between secessions and a GUI that can be resized can not be underestimated. And that can only be done by WDS I assume.
06-09-2020, 11:18 PM,
Will bugs like failing auto defensive fire be squished too? I had 2 arty batteries being overun from 5 hexes distance cav without firing a single shot. This renders play by email with auto defensive fire useless.
06-10-2020, 01:16 AM,
For this like the CW battles series phases are the way to play.
06-10-2020, 02:01 AM,
(06-10-2020, 01:16 AM)BigDuke66 Wrote: For this like the CW battles series phases are the way to play.

If it is like the phases in the Campaign Waterloo manual then it is a chore in play by email of big battles and a no go for us.

How hard can it be to code a remotly decent auto fire? Not that hard. I could do it in a week.
At least let units fire before they are engaged in melee for heavens sake.
06-10-2020, 02:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-10-2020, 02:34 AM by BigDuke66.)
(06-10-2020, 02:01 AM)LarkinVB Wrote: How hard can it be to code a remotly decent auto fire? Not that hard. I could do it in a week.
At least let units fire before they are engaged in melee for heavens sake.
Go ahead, your welcome.
But you should understand that this is more or less wanted, turn gameplay works differently and unlike phased gameplay doesn't give your the full control that is needed. Overall the defender is in a disadvantage, that is why the last released introduced some new optional rules to counter that a but. The new optional rules will also be added to all other games of the series.
06-10-2020, 03:01 AM,
It is more or less wanted to let the AI do random bad auto fire (or none at all) at times? I'm surprised about this design decision.

I suggested help coding at Tiller support but did get no answer. I have a least released a game (Titans of Steel) a long time ago, so I'm not totally uneducated at coding software.