• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New Panzer Campaign Graphics
06-15-2020, 09:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-15-2020, 09:26 PM by ComradeP.)
RE: New Panzer Campaign Graphics
Given the limitations, there will always be combinations that don't work well at certain elevation levels.

Picking colours for infrastructure that are similar to the background/ground tiles adds further complications.

Trails and even secondary roads can be difficult to spot in soft or mud conditions at the higher elevation levels.

Similarly, soft conditions on low elevation levels can turn the map into a sort of poisonous green blureffect that obscures brush hexes and possibly forest hexes if they're more "subtle".

Hex types represented by graphics with a visible ground tile background in between the terrain/infrastructure graphics (brush, forests, trails in all series) can sometimes nearly "disappear" at higher zoom levels depending on elevation/weather conditions.

That's what I like about the grey primary roads: no matter what elevation/weather conditions apply, you can always spot them at a glance.

The new brick-coloured primary roads do stand out, which makes them easy to spot, but connected secondary roads at higher elevation levels or mud conditions might not be easy to identify.
Quote this message in a reply
06-15-2020, 09:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-15-2020, 09:53 PM by phoenix.)
(06-15-2020, 07:40 PM)Strela Wrote:
(06-15-2020, 06:39 PM)phoenix Wrote: I think the elevation differences are clearer in your original images, no, with the standard colouring of different contour levels? Even for the soft terrain I think it's clearer in the original. Also the soft terrain looks 'soft' in the original, not in the new version.

They're all nice graphics, and I feel safe and reassured anyway, since the Gold reversion will be an option. I'm really looking forward to Scheldt. When is it likely out, David?

The two sets of images I just posted were normal and mud. There was no soft included. As I said Scheldt is hard as it only uses two maybe three elevation changes so you will essentially get a map that is a single colour.

The biggest reason as mentioned that the hexes look 'dull' is the lessening of the light bulb effect. The full 'light bulb' was in all the original soft shots shown at the beginning of this thread. That is another reason these later shots look dull.

David

Sorry. I meant 'mud', not soft. I was suggesting that your original choice (what you label the 'standard' hex colours) showed the elevations in a clearer way, for both mud and normal. So, fwiw, I'd be happy if you stuck to the standard palette. But these are all nice, I think.
06-16-2020, 06:10 AM,
I see better darker version because elevation borders are more visible, oposite made harder to see elevations... well is not like we are going to have a lot in Scheltd44 but...

The 3 colours version provides a hex texture i like a lot but the mud version made more visible roads and specially villages and urban areas.

A little suggestion, is possible you test defensive works using a more visible colour? and different colours by defensive work... i did this in a mod for PzB and help made visible them... pink, red, light green and yellow and using a big letter in top corner with same colour.... maybe could hurt your eyes but you have info without force eyes hahahaha.

Good work as usual, cant wait 2nd part of blog post.
06-16-2020, 03:50 PM,
David,
Thanks for in depth explanation and illustrations.

I forgot about the level.
Indeed when looking at the full palette it is more familiar.

Keep up the good work, looks like a great step forward.