• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New Panzer Campaign Graphics
06-01-2020, 02:12 AM,
RE: New Panzer Campaign Graphics
Something about SS problem... is possible you test a solution using the model for special formations inside a nation??? like NKVD or airborne units in USA using the base counter BUT with a colour band in the middle.

I refer you have grey base counter and the middle band in black and you can made it a little bigger, other option is like i said only leave in black the counter border (again a little bigger) and mantein grey as base colour in NATO symbol area.

I think new change in counters pixels is going to help made more visible them and this open room to improve the use of counter in same colour for a nation but with colour bands for specific formations, of course sometimes if is avaliable a good colour to use use it, like blue for fallschirmjager/luftwaffe or white for Kriegsmarine, same guards/non guards.

But one thing to have in mind is made more visible NATO counters with thick lines, not like the bar to show heavy weapons symbol but more than the showed in pics.

Defensive icons for me are the weaker part in update, they need be more visible, Jison solution is simple and works fine and even with bigger counters is easier see them imcreasing the size of squares and numbers.

Every change is allways hard and you need adapt to them, in art is even worst because is very.... personal, my opinion is mantein update all open you can to made players use one type of art or other.... or even mix both, here i dont know if is possible create a custom folder and select take the files from it to made easier for players use the mods they want.

PD: i think you are doing a good job, the improvement in counters size and zoom is something i like a lot but i feel is better introduce this first and touch art later and more in something you can download if you want and not like something you are going to have in the update.
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2020, 03:59 AM,
Really Bless  you guys for the Gold upgrades, they are like new games and led me to buy the 3 PzC
I did not already own.  

Having said that being a conserve it tive  ;) ,  none to bright old man,  and semi literate, who just plays VS the AI   I m unsure on what you are proposing for the new enhancements ?
Rich
06-03-2020, 06:01 AM,
(05-30-2020, 02:50 PM)2-81 Armor Wrote: More contrast is needed between PzC primary and secondary roads, and I prefer the black/white "dashed line" style railroads myself, because they are easier to pick out.

I really like the fact that the Niehorster symbols are being adopted as standard.

I agree with Xavier that something should be done about the German counters. Gray or gray-green for the Heer, and darker gray for the SS are my preferences. Easily modded anyway.

All in all though, I'm really looking forward to the graphic changes. It's really good to see that things are still evolving in a positive way. In the end it looks like anything we don't like the looks of will be able to be modded to our individual tastes, and that's a good and thoughtful thing too.

+1 on everything said here. Feldgrau and stylised rail line preferred. 

I'm not a fan of the Gold heavily bordered counters. I understand that it gives them a 'picture' effect but I prefer the older 'cardboard counter' style with just a little 3D shading effect thrown in.

Appreciate the effort!
06-03-2020, 10:16 AM,
For those interested, there is an extra thread for the Napy series and its graphic changes:
https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=73506
06-03-2020, 12:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-03-2020, 12:33 PM by BigDuke66.)
I welcome the improvements on the engine to allow for better graphics and what I see so far looks great.

For the map screenshots, the only thing to consider is making some things a little darker, things like polder or stream.

For the new special markers, first I do not get why the circles & squares, do they serve any purpose?

Next the marker obstacle looks too close to the minefield markers, if a unit would occupy such a hex it would look like a zero strength minefield underneath that unit, there definitely needs to be a different color used.

And for the position markers, what is seen here is nice but having just the letters be seen under a unit doesn't help much in getting the differences of the positions. Especially new player will still scratch their heads and wonder if now a pillbox or a bunker is better. Jisons 4 dots are pretty bullet proofed in that aspect and maybe something similar could be used.

For the German coloring, not sure what the problem is with using classic colors but Jison is gain my choice here. Look at the screenshot:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=4898]
You see light gray for Wehrmacht, dark gray for SS, light blue for Luftwaffe. Where is the problem using this with the new graphics?

Attached Files
.jpg   PC colors.jpg (Size: 16.49 KB / Downloads: 157)
06-03-2020, 08:13 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-03-2020, 08:21 PM by Lowlander. Edit Reason: expand reply )
Going back to the screenshots on the 1st page of this thread, all the hexes have a blob of light on them is this intentional.

Also IMHO the new Nato counter symbols are way too thin, they look a bit washed out.

Improving the graphics to Panzer Battles style would be a good move but adding the top-down alt units would be a far better investment of resources.

On the subject of graphics my pet hate is the nato counters imposed on the unit art, I posted a couple of mods where I moved the compressed nato symbol to the bottom right, my personal experience here is everyone has a wealth of knowledge on the subject and understands the difference between ATG, IG and AAA etc.
06-04-2020, 12:53 AM,
Yes these bulb light hexes... never was a fan of them especially with the new color range from lowest bluish water like hex to highest violet hex. I fell back to old school hexes from green to brown.
06-04-2020, 01:12 AM,
On reflection would it be possible to have another survey on this, similar to the questionnaire we had a few years back.
06-04-2020, 02:16 AM,
As they say, opinions are like assholes - everyone has one.

Firstly, as mentioned in the blog post but reiterated again, the Gold graphics will be included so that you can retain those if required. No one is forcing anyone to change from what was done in those releases. And for Peter yes, the 'no hex' versions will be left - as mentioned in the blog post.

Secondly, I am not planning to change the German colours. Every single unit card since the Gold releases has had the 'Nato counter' included and I don't have time to go back and change them all - for every title. There seems to be a number here indicating I am wasting my time upgrading any graphics at all and I should be purely focused on new releases. That point is now taken and I will leave it to clever modders to correct the error of my ways re German colouring.

Thirdly, as I have reiterated more than once in this thread, these were draft graphics. Many of your suggestions to date have now been incorporated. For example, the handling of entrenchments and mines and obstacles is back towards the way it was handled in the Gold Releases. Rivers, streams and canals (again as mentioned in the blog post!) have been reworked and are much more distinctive. Brush has also been changed to differentiate it from woods and 'the hexy' look of woods in particular has been corrected as best I can with six randomly laid out graphics. Railways are also closer to what people have been requesting - similar to Jison's handling.

A little point on Jison. Jison has been a fantastic partner for the whole community and has selflessly provided his mapmod for free to all. He has also officially provided the graphics for a number of JTS titles on a paid basis. There have been a number of discussions where he has quite rightly asked that none of his work be included in a commercial title with out his approval. In a number of cases we were straying too close to that and its one of the reason I don't want to closely emulate his work. I want to be completely respectful to Jison, I believe he is an exemplary graphic designer and every time I look at his work I learn something.

I am still adjusting graphics and will not show them for a little while, as I'd like them closer to a final (draft) version before you all unleash on me again...

David
06-04-2020, 03:21 AM,
(06-04-2020, 02:16 AM)Strela Wrote: As they say, opinions are like assholes - everyone has one.

Sorry to differ from you on this point, I think you will find Her Majesty The Queen does not have one, I thought that was common knowledge...…...   Soap Box

You really should not start conspiracy theories...…….. Mex Big Grin   Jester