• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Campaign Ozark...manual ?
05-11-2020, 09:55 PM,
Help  Campaign Ozark...manual ?
Hi all

After a long break I today bought Campaign Ozark and Seven Years War having been really impressed with the new look of the Campaign series.

On installing though Seven Years War has a manual fully accessible via the toolbar there appears to be no such manual with Ozark. I am sure I would eventually figure out the rules but as this is my first ACW title (and being a Brit!) a manual would be helpful  Wink

Any ideas guys ?

Thanks in advance

Ian
"I may not agree with what you say but will defend to the death your right to say it"
Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2020, 02:27 AM,
RE: Campaign Ozark...manual ?
Look under Help menu should be listing of manuals and shortcut keys for each.
Users Manual (F4)

These are PDF files.
05-12-2020, 02:53 AM,
Either do what Ken suggested in the previous post or go into your main game folder and open the folder labeled "Manuals" and select whichever PDF file you wish to open.

Congratulations on your new titles.
05-12-2020, 04:02 AM,
Thanks guys.

Those methods indeed worked fine for Seven Years War but hitting F4 has no effect in Ozark....odd.

I thought I checked the main game folder and there was no manual pdf in the drop-down but I will double check to be sure ::-)

In other news despite largely following the Seven Years War quick start guide to the letter with regard to suggested moves I just got my ass handed to me by the Prussians in the tutorial😂 Lets put it this way...the Charge of the Light Brigade resulted in less cavalry slaughter than what the Prussian infantry and guns did to the Austrian horse on my left....

I will ignore the ramblings of the quick start guide and try my own plan later today !

Thanks again

Ian
"I may not agree with what you say but will defend to the death your right to say it"
07-16-2020, 07:25 PM,
Okay so I never did track down the manual for Ozark but no matter....I am having an absolute blast with the title.

I am playing the scenarios through chronologically as the CSA and now have reached what I consider to be an unwinnable scenario in the shape of the Battle of Lexington with the Union troops safely ensconced behind 360 degree walls, on a slope with artillery support and nice killing fields v inferior quality Missouri State Guard troops......

Any ideas ?
07-16-2020, 11:28 PM,
Don't understand why you wouldn't have the manuals listed.

Under Help you should have
General Help (F1)
Parameter Data (F2)
Campaign Notes (F3)
Users Manual (F4)
Getting Started (F5)
Changes
About

Clicking About should show Version 3.0 and John Tiller Software as well as your serial number.
If you don't have this something went wrong in your install or update if you did one.
If you show HPS in About then you don't have the JTS version but the older HPS one.
Been a long time since I had the HPS version loaded and don't recall what Help looked like in that version.
07-17-2020, 04:00 AM,
Hi

No its a new install from a month or so back from the Tiller store.

If I hit the "help" button on the top toolbar I get the options you mention as a drop down but clicking doesn't bring anything up. Likewise if I just hit F1, F2 etc.

It's no big deal and the rest of the game plays fine but just odd.

I am likely to buy Campaign Antietam very soon so I will hopefully access the ACW manual there and see if I missed anything obvious .

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Ian
07-17-2020, 07:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-17-2020, 10:11 AM by -72-.)
(07-17-2020, 04:00 AM)devoncop Wrote: Hi

If I hit  the "help" button on the top toolbar I get the options you mention as a drop down but clicking doesn't bring anything up. Likewise if I just hit F1, F2 etc.

I am likely to buy Campaign Antietam very soon so I will hopefully access the ACW manual there and see if I missed anything obvious .

Ian

Hi Ian:  

They're going to be in there -if you open up the main game folder- then do a search for:   *.pdf it will track down all of pdf's in that game folder.   There will be several.  

There is going to be (I think) a difference between Ozark and SYW  -as the working philosophy with the group now working with that series (WDS) -was that including a separate sub folder for all of the manual was the way to go.  I won't comment on that decision - but for me just using the common Windows command 'group by' (and then file type) worked in the same way - without going through that extra step. 

I can see where it would make it difficult to find things; it did for me for sure.

I think the subfolder is actually called something like 'documentation' within the Civil War series- - but the Search method above should drill down through that.   When you do find these- hit right click and find the command  'open by folder location'  -and you should find where all of those are now located.

Ok, I'd ask 'why?' - Well - the difference is that SYW (and a lot of other titles) -don't have that extra folder layer, so my guess is that this is why they are easier to locate.

Why the no hot key functioning?  That's just probably programming. I never actually noticed that myself as I only ever opened them out of the main folders (ok -maybe I even printed them off). 

If you still can't find them - drop me a line and I'll have them all. I haven't checked that any I have at the SDC site have changed in awhile - but it is definitely do-able.

Edit: Apologies- the folder is titled Manuals. If you still can't find them just mention it in a post- I'll make sure that I have a current set somewhere and add the link in the thread for you.
Send this user an email
07-17-2020, 03:50 PM,
(07-17-2020, 07:40 AM)trauth116 Wrote:

If I hit  the "help" button on the top toolbar I get the options you mention as a drop down but clicking doesn't bring anything up. Likewise if I just hit F1, F2 etc.

Ian

Hi Ian:  

They're going to be in there -if you open up the main game folder- then do a search for:   *.pdf it will track down all of pdf's in that game folder.   There will be several.  

There is going to be (I think) a difference between Ozark and SYW  -as the working philosophy with the group now working with that series (WDS) -was that including a separate sub folder for all of the manual was the way to go.  I won't comment on that decision - but for me just using the common Windows command 'group by' (and then file type) worked in the same way - without going through that extra step. 

I can see where it would make it difficult to find things; it did for me for sure.

I think the subfolder is actually called something like 'documentation' within the Civil War series- - but the Search method above should drill down through that.   When you do find these- hit right click and find the command  'open by folder location'  -and you should find where all of those are now located.

Ok, I'd ask 'why?' - Well - the difference is that SYW (and a lot of other titles) -don't have that extra folder layer, so my guess is that this is why they are easier to locate.

Why the no hot key functioning?  That's just probably programming. I never actually noticed that myself as I only ever opened them out of the main folders (ok -maybe I even printed them off). 

If you still can't find them - drop me a line and I'll have them all. I haven't checked that any I have at the SDC site have changed in awhile - but it is definitely do-able.

Edit:  Apologies- the folder is titled Manuals.   If you still can't find them just mention it in a post- I'll make sure that I have a current set somewhere and add the link in the thread for you.

Hi

That it so helpful. Thank you.

I wont comment on the decision to hide the manuals in an extra folder layer either  Big Grin

I will dig into the delightful Windows 10 operating system ( Rolling Eyes ) and see what I can find. 

Thanks again

Ian
07-17-2020, 03:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-17-2020, 04:00 PM by devoncop.)
News  RE: Campaign Ozark...manual ?
(07-17-2020, 03:50 PM)devoncop Wrote:
(07-17-2020, 07:40 AM)trauth116 Wrote:

Ian

Hi Ian:  

Edit:  Apologies- the folder is titled Manuals.   If you still can't find them just mention it in a post- I'll make sure that I have a current set somewhere and add the link in the thread for you.

Hi

That it so helpful. Thank you.

I wont comment on the decision to hide the manuals in an extra folder layer either  Big Grin

I will dig into the delightful Windows 10 operating system ( Rolling Eyes ) and see what I can find. 

Thanks again

Ian

Update :

Hot off the press !

Thanks to Trauth116's excellent instructions for dummies (me)  the errant Ozark documentation has been found lurking in the bowels of Windows 10  cheers cheers

It now sits copied and pasted on my desktop whether it likes it or not !