• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

#16_14s Wacht am Rhein (Herbstnebel)
07-09-2020, 07:58 AM,
RE: #16_14s Wacht am Rhein (Herbstnebel)
(07-08-2020, 04:28 PM)ComradeP Wrote: There's no bridge across the Rur behind Höfen, so it makes sense for the Americans to pull 3/395 out of its rather precarious position as soon as possible.

The motorized elements including the HQ can withdraw through the rear area of the 2nd Infantry Division, but I'd be inclined to ferry the infantry companies across the Rur.

You've either got good eyesight or have played this before. <g> Yes the 3/395th are in an awkward position. I've played the first 6 turns twice as the US against Brian when the 395th had TRENCHES and it was not pretty. Two of the companies now set up in Bunkers ( I think I said Pillboxes above which is wrong) but that doesn't make it that much easier. There are no VP's to defend in Hofen plus the rest of the Division is off to the south. A player would be wise to move them south.....if he is allowed to by the German.

I dug out my Turn 1 moves.

[Image: 2020-07-08_21h49_02.png]

I only sent one Pioneer company against the 3/395th. (1./326th) I held back the I/751st and ferried the I/753rd over the Rur. What Brian normally does is throw both these units at the 395th. (yellow arrows) I decided to be cute with the I/753 and keep casualties low by holding back I/751 and not sending it into Clear terrain. 

Only I/752 plus a company from II/752 sent against the hex SE of Monschau. The 2./Pio 326th moved so that they can start work on Minefield next turn.

A company of II/752 sent to reveal the troop north of Monscha for artillery purposes.

The unlucky landing of VdHydte 8 Gruppe (1 man) as you know wasn't planned. <g>

When I played the US the first thing I did was to motor the A/146th Eng down behind the 3/395th to provide back up for evacuation. The 4 foot companies.  However 3/395th are D morale so keeping them undisrupted to allow ferrying will not be easy. The best option is to sit tight probably and wait on V Corps artillery being released. Or start walking south. 

The motorised elements (HQ and two A/T units) are actually better going into T mode and running the gauntlet and crossing the bridge behind Bunker 1. Remember that in this game there are no ZOC just an enhanced cost for movement. They should be able to escape even if they start Disrupted. I think? They will suffer opportunity fire. The US foot company in Bunker 1 could even go into T mode and walk away over the bridge. 

Of course if Bunker 1 is captured or assaulted then things get ugly. Its a Bunker in Forrest. However if the US player opens his Turn 1and finds that this unit has been Disrupted he has a few decisions to make if the Germans have occupied both hexes adjacent to it and its now open to assault.

I've mentioned to Brian that I like the set up at Monschau/Hofen as its a mini game/puzzle within a monster game.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: #16_14s Wacht am Rhein (Herbstnebel) - by Plain Ian - 07-09-2020, 07:58 AM