• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

#16_14s Wacht am Rhein (Herbstnebel)
07-08-2020, 07:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-08-2020, 07:11 AM by Plain Ian.)
RE: #16_14s Wacht am Rhein (Herbstnebel)
I'll start with the boring sector first. Monschau. 

Brian has revised this area several times. When I played it as the US players the 3/395th were beaten up quite badly and Hofen could have fallen. Monschau was a bit easier to defend as Mines and Obstacles easily delayed the attack until US artillery (V Corps) started to make a big impact.

Brian has beefed up the 395th defenses by changing TRENCHES to Pillboxes. It does help reduce losses but since the 395th is D morale it can be Disrupted if hit hard enough by heavy artillery. The Germans do have heavy artillery (VAK 405 and Werfer Rgt 88/89) but they will be withdrawn at 12:00. 

So instead of using the I/753 VG Bn and I/751 VG Bn to attack Hofen I thought it would be better to transfer the I/753 over the river to support the attack on Monschau.

[Image: 2020-07-07_20h37_061.png]

And the results have been underwhelming. Not much to show for almost 200 men lost and two Pioneer companies sitting at 70% and well fatigued. (Failed assaults plus artillery) 

The attack at Hofen fizzled out. I did gain the TRENCH hex north east of Hofen but artillery soon drove me back. For some reason Brian pulled back? I've occupied the Pillbox hex with the I/751 and started patrols to see whats happening. 

Progress at Monschau has been slow. I think I've knocked out 3-5 M8's and about 10-15 men plus I have managed to inflict Disruptions. Well strictly that's not true. Most disruptions are cause not by me but by Brian as its usually US fire triggering German defensive fire which causes the disruptions. However Brian has fed in his Engineers to the town and still has a unit of Tank Destroyers in reserve.

The only success I can see is that the minefield in front of Monschau has been cleared. Again a Pioneer unit (full strength 140 men) has been chewed up to do this. 

With no heavy artillery and only Divisional artillery I'm still optomistic that I can keep pressure on Monschau. 

Hitler wanted the town but Brian hasn't given it any VP's in #16_14 so I won't be spilling to much German blood on it even if the 326th is a D rated unit. (US 38th Cav is C rated)

[Image: 2020-07-07_20h41_20.png]   
Anyway that's the picture in the north at Dusk first day.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: #16_14s Wacht am Rhein (Herbstnebel) - by Plain Ian - 07-08-2020, 07:09 AM