• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Serbia shall live! Serbia '14 4th Invasion AAR - Central Powers conceded turn 150
05-03-2020, 03:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-04-2020, 04:31 PM by ComradeP.)
RE: Serbia shall live! Serbia '14 4th Invasion AAR
It's not always clear how objectives were captured at a certain time, the objectives on the Danube I Division and Drina I Division front are difficult to secure for the Central Powers unless they get excellent Disruption rolls against the defenders in the bunkers.

The Semendria objective is a "maybe" if the Central Powers player is aware of the gap between the Danube I and Frontier Guard companies, but it's still difficult to capture. My opponent made no push towards the objective, preferring to breakthrough towards the south between the Danube I Division and Drina I Division. I think that's a better move.

I'm not really sure how Pozarevac can realistically be captured before it expires. The Drina I Division quality is good to great, there's a solid bunker line and rivers at the flank.

Similarly, the timetables for capturing the secondary and tertiary line Beograd objectives are also a bit optimistic I'd say, whereas the timetable for capturing Kalemegdan fortress and Konak Palace is very generous.

I try to save as many units as I can as well, but the withdrawal of the border guard companies makes it less of an issue to sacrifice them if you have to make a choice between them or a permanently present unit.

The second border guard unit I lost east of the Drina I Division was also Fixed until the Germans isolated it, as it couldn't spot anyone due to the low visibility and the surrounding visibility-blocking terrain.

Aside from the British Royal Marine detachment which heroically assaulted a bunker and was wiped out immediately, the torpedo boats in Beograd, the naval guns in Kalemegdan fortress and (soon) 3 border guard companies, I haven't lost any units yet. That was a bit of a surprise, some of my field gun units were exposed in T-mode for at least 1 turn but survived. Though I've lost 43 guns thus far, I'm only 10 guns short compared to the starting strength (or 3 field guns, as 7 losses were the naval guns in Beograd) as several units start understrength in Macedonia in particular and even at 1% recovery, given enough time units will regain strength.

I dislike leaving field gun units at the front, preferring to keep them 2 hexes away from the enemy. That's why the visibility of 1 hex complicated operations for a few days.

The only infrastructure damage I'll cause is cutting the rail line to Nis so Bulgarian reinforcements can't drive straight into Serbia from Sofia. I asked Volcano Man about Serbian infrastructure damage in the Serbia '14 thread and it seems to have been uncommon for Serbian troops to damage bridges, so I'll leave the bridges intact.

The Rudnik Chetniks from Arandjelovac were split between Beograd and the 3rd Army sector. Incidentally, the Chetniks are useful for holding bunkers together with a battalion, unintended as that might be.

As losses scale with stack size, it's advisable to keep a battalion and MG's, cavalry or some other small unit in a bunker hex instead of multiple battalions (I tried that a few times and Central Powers artillery hurt the stacks in a way that wasn't going to work for prolonged periods). The main advantage of Chetniks is that they're B and can move without having to switch to T-mode like field guns or MG's.

What are the losses like in your team game? My opponent sometimes keeps two battalions in one hex if he feels an assault is possible when my defenders Disrupts, but I've yet to see him make big mistakes in terms of unit placement. He did just lose a regiment of 107. Infanterie Division that was stuck on the other side of the Mlava due to the storm, but that was more an unfortunate move that couldn't be corrected due to the weather than a mistake.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Serbia shall live! Serbia '14 4th Invasion AAR - by ComradeP - 05-03-2020, 03:46 AM