• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Moving during being fired upon
04-29-2020, 06:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-29-2020, 06:34 PM by Fhil.)
Moving during being fired upon
Wanted to share this one some time before as well, not sure how many of you are aware of this and what is your opinion in the following:

When you are moving your unit during your turn and come into enemy unit´s fire range, there is a probability as we know for enemy opportunity fire. In this case, the enemy unit/units are firing on the hext you have arrived to. Now, as I sometimes move faster and click on the next hex already or use the numerical keyboard for moving to the next hex, my unit actually moves right after the first enemy opportunity fire, while there is one/two/three more enemy ´fires´ on that given hex, hitting the unit that was already originally there. I hope it is undestandable how I described it.

So the opportunity fire continues against that hex, but that unit on the move is already away. I believe this is valid for everyone as it must be in the system.

Are you aware of this?
 Do you use it to your advantage or wait for all the opportunity fire to finish?
 Do you consider it gamey to move away from the hex this way?

It happens to me regularly that I move so fast, not sure if this was always possible (I mean in older versions). But I am not happy that I am able to do so, but you can´t undo the move once you move away.

Also, this is valid for both the PzC and PzB games.
Quote this message in a reply
04-29-2020, 09:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-29-2020, 09:10 PM by ComradeP.)
RE: Moving during being fired upon
That happened a few times in my games, but not deliberately.

As far as I know, opportunity fire is always aimed at a hex and not a unit. A unit might trigger it, but that doesn't mean it will take damage.

If there's a friendly infantry unit next to an enemy unit with a hard attack range of 0 and you move a tank unit in, opportunity fire might still be triggered against the friendly infantry unit even though the tank unit isn't a valid target.

Similarly, opportunity fire might be triggered when an AT gun unit is switched to T-mode in a stack with other units, even though it wouldn't draw opportunity fire if it was in a hex by itself and switched to T-mode.
04-29-2020, 10:14 PM,
(04-29-2020, 09:01 PM)ComradeP Wrote: That happened a few times in my games, but not deliberately.

As far as I know, opportunity fire is always aimed at a hex and not a unit. A unit might trigger it, but that doesn't mean it will take damage.

If there's a friendly infantry unit next to an enemy unit with a hard attack range of 0 and you move a tank unit in, opportunity fire might still be triggered against the friendly infantry unit even though the tank unit isn't a valid target.

Similarly, opportunity fire might be triggered when an AT gun unit is switched to T-mode in a stack with other units, even though it wouldn't draw opportunity fire if it was in a hex by itself and switched to T-mode.

Yes, you are absolutely correct, forgot about all those special cases you have described.
04-30-2020, 01:47 AM,
I have never seen it enough to tell if the moving unit avoids damage after moving on. I thought I had seen it take damage after the move too, but if you have watched enough to determine it is the units present in the hex, I will defer to that. But have definitely seen it.

I would call it gamey to purposely sprint through a hex like that if so, but I know it does happen in some cases. I think I have mostly or only seen this in PzB by the way, where there can be a deluge of shots in some situations.
[Image: exercise.png]
04-30-2020, 04:49 AM,
(04-30-2020, 01:47 AM)Ricky B Wrote: I have never seen it enough to tell if the moving unit avoids damage after moving on. I thought I had seen it take damage after the move too, but if you have watched enough to determine it is the units present in the hex, I will defer to that. But have definitely seen it.

I would call it gamey to purposely sprint through a hex like that if so, but I know it does happen in some cases. I think I have mostly or only seen this in PzB by the way, where there can be a deluge of shots in some situations.

Yes, sometimes a vulnerable unit might be the one that passes through but then it´s away already in ´safety´ while the enemy opportunity fire shoots at some not so vulnerable unit. I´m 50/50 about the gamey point, it´s just that I´m sometime too fast and you can´t undo. Never did that on purpose and never seen any of my opponents do so either.

Regarding the damage, moving unit definitely avoid it. 
 Regarding PzC, I think I first spotted it there some time ago.

But it seems it´s not that common maybe.
Thanks for your response anyway. 

Got some more time these days so I´m bringing up all that came to my mind over those years playing these games  Wink
05-01-2020, 02:32 PM,
(04-30-2020, 04:49 AM)Fhil Wrote:
(04-30-2020, 01:47 AM)Ricky B Wrote: I have never seen it enough to tell if the moving unit avoids damage after moving on. I thought I had seen it take damage after the move too, but if you have watched enough to determine it is the units present in the hex, I will defer to that. But have definitely seen it.

Yes, sometimes a vulnerable unit might be the one that passes through but then it´s away already in ´safety´ while the enemy opportunity fire shoots at some not so vulnerable unit. I´m 50/50 about the gamey point, it´s just that I´m sometime too fast and you can´t undo. Never did that on purpose and never seen any of my opponents do so either.

Regarding the damage, moving unit definitely avoid it. 
 Regarding PzC, I think I first spotted it there some time ago.

But it seems it´s not that common maybe.
Thanks for your response anyway. 

Got some more time these days so I´m bringing up all that came to my mind over those years playing these games  Wink

The defensive fire is automatic/random, and the player has no control over it.

My experience has been that multi-hex moves get interrupted by defensive fire, anyway. And sometimes a unit moves into a zoc, takes three rounds of fire, and only then gets to leave.