• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Technical issues
04-23-2020, 09:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-23-2020, 09:31 PM by Fhil.)
Technical issues
It´s been some time that I wanted to ask about experiencing some technical issues with PzB games. They are not severe things, but can be annoying sometimes. They all seem to be related to the battle replay. Here they are:

A - Sound effects during battle replay broken

This tends to happen in the PzC games as well. You´re watching your opponent´s turn replay and once there are some engines moving or artillery fire sounds effects (even in quick mode of replay), they start to repeat over and over again and over each other, so after a while there is a reall mess to be heard and I have to turn the sound off until the replay is over, quit the programm and start it again. I always watch the replays in quick mode, so maybe this happens only in that mode. Also, it does not happen always, but regularly like every fifth replay maybe. Anyone else experiencing this?

B - Enemy side´s Variable Victory Objective points visible during battle replay

This one is maybe a little bit more severe. The system´s intention is not to show you the exact points value for a turn for your opponent´s side, so when playing the Variable victory points versions of scenario (which I tend to play in NA´41), usually the objectives are something like ?/2, or 5/? etc. depending on which side is the first. So you don´t know how much the enemy earns in points for holding them. 

While reviewing your opponent´s turn though during the replay, his points values that are otherwise hiden from you during your turn under the ? mark are clearly visible to you now. I try to ignore them so or so, and it´s also not that I would exactly calculate each turn each objective, but there is a possibility to do so and if it´s a smaller scenario, once you see it you won´t be able to get the number from your head :)

C - Quick mode of battle replay remains active right into your turn

Also true in PzC games. Once the replay ends while it was in quick mode (F8), it carries over to your turn. So your fire will be shown that quickly as well (might be advantage in large campaign games, but that doesn´t feel correct). 

There is a cure for that other than relaunching the game and opening the file again and that is to shoot your arty first. So or so I´m beginning my turns usually with opening the artillery Dialog. The first artillery fire will be shown in this quick mode, but from the next one it´s back to normal mode with slow graphics and accompanied sound effects. This issue is not a big deal neither, it´s just there, I would say this is the least annoying.

Any of you guys experiencing some or all of these as well or is it just my machine? Helmet Rolleyes
Quote this message in a reply
04-24-2020, 01:51 PM,
RE: Technical issues
I have had all of them happen to me, although I had forgotten about the objective point values being visible during the replay.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
04-26-2020, 10:58 PM,
I've Experienced this sound effect problem across ACW, Nappy PZC etc, the solution, exit game reboot PC and restart game.
However this should not happen during fast AI turn or replay in fast mode as except for assaults ? there is no sound.

Maybe you should reboot before running turn replay as your PC might have a reduced memory problem.
You mention selecting F8 when the replay starts ?, maybe better to tick fast AI processing from the drop down AI menu prior to running turn replay.
04-26-2020, 11:50 PM,
I don't normally use replay for large PzC scenarios and I haven't played the PB games against an opponent yet but I have seen the sound repeating problem occasionally for years from nearly every Tiller game except the naval games.  For those games where I do watch the replay it occasionally happens then, I also have had it happen during my turn during combat resolution but since I use Fast AI when playing against the AI I've never seen it during AI play.  I've seen this on 3 different machines using Win XP, Win 7 and Win 10 so don't believe it's a machine or system related problem.  When it happens I normally just save the file, close out the game, restart it and reload the file.  I don't recall ever seeing it happen twice in a row, but then I don't believe I've ever started the same file twice in a row either as I normally turn the sound off and watch the replay when it happens then and save it after replay is over.

Can't say I've seen either of the other two problems.
04-27-2020, 03:57 AM,
I consider C as a feature.
For me the standard speed of my units firing is too slow and I always use F6 to speed up the enemy replay a few notches. Most of the time this gets carried over to my turn.

Unfortunately F6 does not increase the animation speed once in my own turn.
"Tapfer. Standhaft. Treu." - PzGrenB.13 Ried/Innkreis
04-27-2020, 04:10 PM,
(04-26-2020, 10:58 PM)Lowlander Wrote: I've Experienced this sound effect problem across ACW, Nappy PZC etc, the solution, exit game reboot PC and restart game.
However this should not happen during fast AI turn or replay in fast mode as except for assaults ? there is no sound.

Maybe you should reboot before running turn replay as your  PC might have a reduced memory problem.
You mention selecting F8 when the replay starts ?, maybe better to tick fast AI processing from the drop down AI menu prior to running turn replay.

Rebooting the PC is not necessary, restarting the game only always helps. 
I´m also talking about PBEM turn replays, I only seldom play against AI and there was never such a problem during it´s turn in fast processing. So it´s not my computer, definitely has enough memory. But thank you anyway!
As I´ve said, the are not such a big issue, just wanted to know if I´m the only one experiencing these.
04-27-2020, 04:14 PM,
(04-26-2020, 11:50 PM)krmiller Wrote: I don't normally use replay for large PzC scenarios and I haven't played the PB games against an opponent yet but I have seen the sound repeating problem occasionally for years from nearly every Tiller game except the naval games.  For those games where I do watch the replay it occasionally happens then, I also have had it happen during my turn during combat resolution but since I use Fast AI when playing against the AI I've never seen it during AI play.  I've seen this on 3 different machines using Win XP, Win 7 and Win 10 so don't believe it's a machine or system related problem.  When it happens I normally just save the file, close out the game, restart it and reload the file.  I don't recall ever seeing it happen twice in a row, but then I don't believe I've ever started the same file twice in a row either as I normally turn the sound off and watch the replay when it happens then and save it after replay is over.

Can't say I've seen either of the other two problems.

Playing PBEM large campaigns without watching opponent´s turns? That´s pretty dangerous, although I understand that from some point on, even the fast replay mode is not that fast anymore. Can´t imagine watchin Minsk ´44 campaign game turn replay these days, while a few years ago it was a matter of 4-5 minutes only.

Also, I´m talking about PBEM games, not AI. Sorry I didn´t mention it in my original post.
04-27-2020, 11:45 PM,
(04-27-2020, 04:14 PM)Fhil Wrote: Playing PBEM large campaigns without watching opponent´s turns? That´s pretty dangerous, although I understand that from some point on, even the fast replay mode is not that fast anymore.
In a campaign game where there are unoccupied areas or for smaller scenarios where this is important I would watch the replay.  However in most campaign scenarios I've played I normally find units shoulder to shoulder across the map, combining this with good use of air recon I have seldom found myself surprised by the arrival of forces in an unexpected location.

I have on occasion had an opponent make a big breakthrough I didn't expect and in those cases I have restarted the turn and watch the replay to see how it was done and normally I find it was a mistake in my previous turn unit placement or just good luck on his part.
04-29-2020, 05:34 PM,
(04-27-2020, 11:45 PM)krmiller Wrote:
(04-27-2020, 04:14 PM)Fhil Wrote: Playing PBEM large campaigns without watching opponent´s turns? That´s pretty dangerous, although I understand that from some point on, even the fast replay mode is not that fast anymore.
In a campaign game where there are unoccupied areas or for smaller scenarios where this is important I would watch the replay.  However in most campaign scenarios I've played I normally find units shoulder to shoulder across the map, combining this with good use of air recon I have seldom found myself surprised by the arrival of forces in an unexpected location.

I have on occasion had an opponent make a big breakthrough I didn't expect and in those cases I have restarted the turn and watch the replay to see how it was done and normally I find it was a mistake in my previous turn unit placement or just good luck on his part.

I understand, it´s probably some bad experience in my beginnings that I said to myself - always watch that replays! Helmet Smile
Can´t recall exactly, but it had something to do with enemy units suddenly appearing in unexpected places.
04-29-2020, 05:38 PM,
B - Enemy side´s Variable Victory Objective points visible during battle replay

Suprises me no one responded to this one yet...quite a bug I think, although it´s hard to believe it was not spotted in all those play tests. I don´t think it is intentional either..

A - Sound effects during battle replay broken

Correction here, this also happens in the normal speed mode. Just happened to me yesterday, after one of opponent´s armoured cars unit moved, all started to repeat itself again and again.