• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Bulge '44 question
04-14-2020, 06:21 PM,
Bulge '44 question
Just a minor question about Bulge '44. I have Bulge '44 Gold, and as I'm playing around with it, noted that the game does not contain Designer Notes like the other John Tiller games which I have.
So I was wondering if this title has no Designer notes, or they may be missing from the Gold version installer? (I never had the pre-Gold version of this game)

Further minor issue I stumbled upon, there are two types of German PAK 40 AT units in the game:
- 75L46 AT PAK 40 (Hs)         Picture shows horses
- 75L46 AT PAK 40                Picture shows vehicles

However they are both actually horse-drawn (in fact all stats are identical). See attachment what I mean.

.png   PAK40_allhorses.png (Size: 87.33 KB / Downloads: 19)

Best regards
Quote this message in a reply
04-14-2020, 10:53 PM,
RE: Bulge '44 question
(04-14-2020, 06:21 PM)wololoh Wrote: Just a minor question about Bulge '44. I have Bulge '44 Gold, and as I'm playing around with it, noted that the game does not contain Designer Notes like the other John Tiller games which I have.
So I was wondering if this title has no Designer notes, or they may be missing from the Gold version installer? (I never had the pre-Gold version of this game)

Further minor issue I stumbled upon, there are two types of German PAK 40 AT units in the game:

However they are both actually horse-drawn (in fact all stats are identical). See attachment what I mean.

Best regards

Another graphic mistake is that while the tactical anti-tank symbol is correct on the unit graphic with the"arrow" pointing down, the map counter tactical symbol is not. It is upside down with the arrow pointing up. 

Mike

Attached Files
.jpg   AT Graphic.jpg (Size: 99.92 KB / Downloads: 20)
04-15-2020, 12:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-15-2020, 12:33 AM by wololoh.)
(04-14-2020, 10:53 PM)Tanker Mike Wrote: Another graphic mistake is that while the tactical anti-tank symbol is correct on the unit graphic with the"arrow" pointing down, the map counter tactical symbol is not. It is upside down with the arrow pointing up. 

Mike

I do not see that in my game, the "arrow" is pointing down on the map counters.
04-15-2020, 12:37 AM,
(04-15-2020, 12:28 AM)wololoh Wrote:
(04-14-2020, 10:53 PM)Tanker Mike Wrote: Another graphic mistake is that while the tactical anti-tank symbol is correct on the unit graphic with the"arrow" pointing down, the map counter tactical symbol is not. It is upside down with the arrow pointing up. 

Mike

I do not see that in my game, the "arrow" is pointing down on the map counters.

Interesting. I will have to investigate that. BTW, I have plenty of time for Bulge '44 Gold game  if you are looking for an PBEM game. 

Mike
04-15-2020, 04:41 AM,
(04-14-2020, 06:21 PM)wololoh Wrote: Just a minor question about Bulge '44. I have Bulge '44 Gold, and as I'm playing around with it, noted that the game does not contain Designer Notes like the other John Tiller games which I have.

Best regards

The I/326 AR unit is part of the Artillery Rgt and the horse transport is correct but the gun type is wrong? It shouldn't be a PAK 40. If you look at Brian Jennings scenario Herbstnebel you'll see that he has it as a 7.5cm FK-40. 
I know the Germans were short of things in 1944 but I doubt if they would stick anti tank guns in an artillery unit...........I think?

There's a few other VG Divisions also depicted this way.

The PzJg Ko 326 unit looks right and probably should be motorised.

My 2c
04-15-2020, 05:16 AM,
(04-15-2020, 04:41 AM)Plain Ian Wrote: The I/326 AR unit is part of the Artillery Rgt and the horse transport is correct but the gun type is wrong? It shouldn't be a PAK 40. If you look at Brian Jennings scenario Herbstnebel you'll see that he has it as a 7.5cm FK-40. 
I know the Germans were short of things in 1944 but I doubt if they would stick anti tank guns in an artillery unit...........I think?

My 2c

Interesting, I was not aware of that scenario.
Looking at the Herbstnebel scenario now, and there also the motorized PAK40 (PzJg) units are actually motorized when the picture has vehicles. So it looks like in that scenario this whole issue is fixed / non-existent.

Quote:BTW, I have plenty of time for Bulge '44 Gold game  if you are looking for an PBEM game.

I am still learning the game, so would be interested to play a smaller scenario (I do not yet feel ready to take on - and invest a lot of time in - a large scenario).

If that is OK for you (small/medium scenario against a new player), then I would love to play!
04-15-2020, 07:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-15-2020, 08:02 AM by Plain Ian.)
(04-15-2020, 05:16 AM)wololoh Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 04:41 AM)Plain Ian Wrote: The I/326 AR unit is part of the Artillery Rgt and the horse transport is correct but the gun type is wrong? It shouldn't be a PAK 40. If you look at Brian Jennings scenario Herbstnebel you'll see that he has it as a 7.5cm FK-40. 

My 2c

Interesting, I was not aware of that scenario.
Looking at the Herbstnebel scenario now, and there also the motorized PAK40 (PzJg) units are actually motorized when the picture has vehicles. So it looks like in that scenario this whole issue is fixed / non-existent.

Quote:BTW, I have plenty of time for Bulge '44 Gold game  if you are looking for an PBEM game.

I am still learning the game, so would be interested to play a smaller scenario (I do not yet feel ready to take on - and invest a lot of time in - a large scenario).

If that is OK for you (small/medium scenario against a new player), then I would love to play!

I think it was Tanker Mike who asked you for the game. I'll let him have first crack. <g> 

The Herbstnebel scenario is not for the faint hearted. A lot of units to move and fire. However it does have some nice benefits -

- No ZOC makes it very flexible to play. You don't have to worry about being pinned by ZOC so can relax a bit about unit placement.
 - Artillery uses Alternative Indirect Fire which means you just fire once and cannot pick your target. 

These are not standard PzC settings for most games though so you have to be change how you play a bit when you play other scenarios/games.

By the way what scenario is the tactical mistake showing the two units with A/A symbols? I've checked a few but cannot see any that looks like this at start up?

[Image: 2020-04-14_19h09_19.png]