• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

A couple of technical game questions
04-14-2020, 05:30 AM,
A couple of technical game questions
1. In the pdt file which is side A and B? It can't be that A is the side that moves first as in some games in different scenarios different sides go first.

2. I have just run a test in my new Bulge'44 scenario and I had three bridge units trying to build a bridge, all C class, and the first bridges were not built for about 24 hours/12 turns. What would be a good setting in the pdt file.
Quote this message in a reply
04-14-2020, 05:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-14-2020, 06:04 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
RE: A couple of technical game questions
1) Where are you seeing side A or B? In the PDT's I have looked at the different sides are named i.e. Axis/Russian or Allied Powers/Central Powers.

2) At the moment the only setting in the PDT to do with bridge building is the delay in turns before the engine starts checking for a pontoon bridge completion. If your test was building a pontoon bridge then the PDT values I have seen have been between 5 and 8 turn delay, but I don't have all the titles.
04-14-2020, 06:32 AM,
In Bulge '44, Side A is the Allies and Side B the Axis.

The relevant parameter values for Bridge Building are given in the pzc.pdf as;

Allied and Axis Bridge Values: the percentage chance that an Engineer unit building a bridge will complete the bridge in any given turn. The chance is proportionally lower when the Engineer unit has less than 100 men.

Allied and Axis Pontoon Values: the minimum number of turns that building a Pontoon Bridge across a Water hex will take. If 0, then building Pontoon Bridges is not possible for that side.

Hope that helps.
04-14-2020, 07:27 AM,
The rules also say that;

"In addition, an engineer company will have a probability of bridge completion 1/3 that of an engineer battalion."

The units you are referring to are company size I believe, so perhaps that could explain the delay.

And I should have mentioned that the way to know which side is A or B is simply by comparing the values in the .pdt as viewed in the editor with those displayed when viewing the parameter data using the game menu (F4). The game shows Allied and Axis where the editor shows A and B.

I think these values are hard coded into each game and cannot be changed, but I could be wrong.
04-14-2020, 08:16 PM,
Thanks for those replies, I used to to know all that! Have not done any editing for some years.

I had not realised this "In addition, an engineer company will have a probability of bridge completion 1/3 that of an engineer battalion." and obviously explains what is happening.
04-15-2020, 02:33 AM,
Thanks Green, as I said I only have a few PzC titles on my laptop to check such facts.  Wink