• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Most Underrated JTS Series! Modern Campaigns!
05-16-2020, 06:42 AM,
RE: Most Underrated JTS Series! Modern Campaigns!
Thanks, I stand corrected.
Quote this message in a reply
05-20-2020, 12:24 AM,
Following reading this and other comments about Modern Campaigns I'm thinking about getting one. Which would you recommend, anyone? Thanks.
05-20-2020, 02:18 AM,
(05-20-2020, 12:24 AM)phoenix Wrote: Following reading this and other comments about Modern Campaigns I'm thinking about getting one. Which would you recommend, anyone?  Thanks.
For NATO-WP action I'd recommend Danube Front '85. It contains all of the territory also covered in North German Plain and Fulda Gap. There are some scenario differences between all three though.

The Bolt Out of The Blue monster campaign is designed for Danube Front. (Early versions worked with North German Plain, but that's all history now.)

I can't comment on Korea '85, since I don't own it. Middle East '67 is strictly Arab-Israeli and more historical than what-if. It does include a few hypothetical scenarios set in the early 2000's.

DF '85 gives the most bang for the buck, IMHO.
"If you want to know a man's true character, give him some power." - Abraham Lincoln (attributed)
05-20-2020, 02:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-20-2020, 02:40 AM by phoenix.)
Thanks! But can I ask 2 questions -

1. Are the maps any different for the same areas covered in both DF '85 and NGP and FG - for instance, are the maps more detailed in NGP and FG than they are in DF 85?

2. I don't like Jison's hex grid maps. At all. As in, won't buy anything that includes them. Can I get rid of the jison grid as you can very easily in the Panzer Campaigns series?

Many thanks.
05-20-2020, 03:52 AM,
(05-20-2020, 02:40 AM)phoenix Wrote: Thanks! But can I ask 2 questions -

1. Are the maps any different for the same areas covered in both DF '85 and NGP and FG - for instance, are the maps more detailed in NGP and FG than they are in DF 85?

2. I don't like Jison's hex grid maps. At all. As in, won't buy anything that includes them. Can I get rid of the jison grid as you can very easily in the Panzer Campaigns series?

Many thanks.
Went into my copies and took a quick look. 

1. The maps used for NGP, and FG don't appear to be any more detailed for terrain and features than DF '85. If there are any differences at all, I'd bet that DF '85 would be the most up to date since it was the last game in the NATO-WP trilogy.

The map done for Bolt Out of The Blue scenario is the same in area as the DF '85 full campaign. The terrain detail is the same, and the only difference I can see is that almost every location is now named. Cosmetic changes only.

2. The map style looks to be the same as used in the PzC Gold Series to me, and that's good. For what it's worth I don't care much for the Jison style myself (heresy I know!). Can't say whether or not any non-Jison mods would work since I haven't tried it myself.

Hope this helps
"If you want to know a man's true character, give him some power." - Abraham Lincoln (attributed)
05-20-2020, 04:01 AM,
Thanks. It does. There's no folder in your 'Maps' folder which is entitled something like 'No hex outline'? IN most of the PC series you can use the files in that folder to get rid of Jison's hard hexes. Alternatively, do you know if the files in the map folder are the same size as those in the PC series - because if so I could just use PC no hex files to mod the MC files. Thanks for replying. Appreciated.
05-20-2020, 05:12 AM,
Danube Front, Fulda Gap, and North German Plain have a Maps folder which has has a folder called No Hex Outline. These are the Gold editions.
05-20-2020, 05:47 AM,
Great thanks. And I've bought it now. Thanks.