• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Early American War Pondering
01-30-2022, 10:07 AM,
RE: Early American War Pondering
Thanks for the further clarifications.

I do not own any MP Titles yet ,will buy both of them at the next sale-they are on my wishlist so this extra info is handy.

The notes for NAP about indirect fire "+" could be fun to muck around with too.
Probably won't use the 'no bayonets' function "-" since I prefer more of a casualty result from melee.

Bad luck about the ACW not having these extra flags. I own Gettysburg and Forgotten Campaigns.
I may try on Gettysburg at some stage but I only have Forgotten Campaigns Installed at the moment since I recently bought it and got burnt out on Gettysburg.
Quote this message in a reply
01-31-2022, 01:26 AM,
I have one of each, 7YWW and 1776. Only really played a few turns yet from one of the smaller 7YWW but really like it.
03-28-2022, 03:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-28-2022, 03:44 AM by TheGrayMouser.)
(01-28-2022, 05:35 PM)Barly Wrote: Got 2 new questions.

(1)
Weapon Flags:
    & Can be prolonged.
    ^ Can be fired while mounted.
    +  Can fire indirect.
    - Has no bayonets.
    * Small arms, 50% melee bonus.
Found this info in the EAW_pdt.pdf

Do these apply to NAP and ACW Titles as well?

I tried ^ and * in Forgotten Campaigns (ACW) and it generated an error.
I tried same thing in Eckmuhl          (NAP) and it seemed to work -no error anyway.

(2)
This is not EAW related but thought I would ask here;

In Eckmuhl (NAP series) ,I noticed in .pdt weapon lines that the melee weapons do not seem to exist,
(SEEMS L P S not present in any of the .pdts in ECKMUHL)(lance pike sword). However the Cavalry seems armed with Sword ,what fire value does the Sword have and can I modify it by adding an entry into the .pdt  ,or are only ranged weapons included in .pdt weapon lines? I suppose I could add Sword to have a range of 1 with a fire value I feel appropriate to represent harassing skirmishing -small groups of slashing cavalry leaving main group to attack enemy ,as distinct from a full blown melee?
The * symbol when used in the Nap series PDT weapon lines does not work as you hope ( I tried a long time ago and just again now in case something changed in the latest patches)

You are on the right track for adding in weapons to the PDT that generally don't have fire values,  so example for sword just set it like:   s 1 0   ( at 1 hex no (0) fire factor)

If you want to add more casualties you should understand first that the defender has a natural 2-1 advantage that is hard coded into the combat engine and is currently not editable in any of the black powder games ( yet is in operational games and squad battles)

The melee combat logic is in the manual.

However, if you want the attacker to be more "equal" to the defender you can use the Weather lines at the end of the PDT which controls the effect of weather for move rates, artillery fire power and attacker.  Normally these would be set to negative value to reflect mud rain effects but if you set the attacker value to 50-60% for example , you will notice a difference in that the attacker and defender are more "equal" and it will be the quaility of your unit, any other bonus',  like leaders, attacking from a flank etc that will be primary items that determine whom wins, and not the overwhelming defender 2-1 odds.

I cant even play these games stock because of this flaw, thank goodness for the weather entry!