• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Serbia '14
04-06-2020, 11:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-06-2020, 11:12 PM by ComradeP.)
RE: Serbia '14
The new mechanic for Field Guns always being Low Ammo when local supply is <20 implies it shouldn't be possible for Field Gun units to pass a supply check when local supply is <20.

Currently, Field Gun units can still pass a supply check on the turn after firing when local supply is <20 provided they're not Low Ammo when firing, but it seems they can't recover from Low Ammo when they fail (which is correct).

If that's how it's supposed to work, everything works as intended, but the description of the new mechanic suggests this shouldn't be possible (as in: the description suggests a supply check should always fail when local supply is <20, but that's not the case currently).
Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2020, 01:41 AM,
(04-06-2020, 08:31 PM)CountryBoy Wrote: Not really a WWI fan, but this thread is tempting me to buy my first ever WWI title of any sort....

You won't regret it. These WWI games are packed with action and leave plenty of room for maneuver. Every title has lots of good scenarios. The Serbian 1st and 2nd Campaigns are all playable within a few weeks time; c. 100 turns each.   jonny Wink
04-07-2020, 02:37 AM,
Country Boy you won't regret it--these 3 titles are not trench warfare. IMHO, the WWI titles and the Civil War one's best model the fighting of their are (I play mostly the WWI and Napoleonic games). The level of detail and research is superb and even scenarios in which the fighting is one sided still give each side a chance for victory in the scenario.
04-07-2020, 03:35 AM,
Well the only way to know for sure is to give one of them them a go, the fascinating thing is although the three series (PzC/MC & FWWC) look similar they play out very differently but in subtle ways which makes learning them so much fun, because you use maybe 90% of PzC features you don't need to start learning the rules/mechanics from the beginning which is a great plus, but you do need to "unlearn" some of your PzC tactics that will only lead to disaster if applied to the WW1 titles.

Although I have not played much with the MC titles, Kool Kats excellent post on the MC series makes me sure that the experience is just the same when migrating from PzC to those titles.

Sometimes a little change can be a good thing...………... Big Grin
04-07-2020, 10:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-07-2020, 10:17 AM by Volcano Man.)
(04-06-2020, 11:11 PM)ComradeP Wrote: The new mechanic for Field Guns always being Low Ammo when local supply is <20 implies it shouldn't be possible for Field Gun units to pass a supply check when local supply is <20.

Currently, Field Gun units can still pass a supply check on the turn after firing when local supply is <20 provided they're not Low Ammo when firing, but it seems they can't recover from Low Ammo when they fail (which is correct).

If that's how it's supposed to work, everything works as intended, but the description of the new mechanic suggests this shouldn't be possible (as in: the description suggests a supply check should always fail when local supply is <20, but that's not the case currently).

Yeah, good point about the manual. During development I thought that the behavior was good as-is, because it allows them to be "saved" by the command test (the HQ and supply chain might have some ammo stocks on hand), and eventually they will fail. However I suppose the user manual text may need to be adjusted to make this more clear.

Thanks, I will look into that...
Send this user an email
04-11-2020, 05:38 PM,
Is the replacement value in the OOB or the replacement value in the parameter data dialog used when determining replacements for a unit with a replacement value in the OOB? Or is the OOB replacement value modified by the parameter data dialog percentage?
04-11-2020, 08:11 PM,
The replacement values in the OOB are the base replacement values. This then is modified by the side's Replacement Rate Modifier, and further modified by the unit's situation (supply level, whether detached, etc).
Send this user an email
04-14-2020, 06:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-15-2020, 04:04 AM by ComradeP.)
Did the Serbian Army destroy bridges as it retreated during the Fourth Invasion? Bridges in scenarios with a later start date are largely intact.

-

Is it working as intended when naval units block ferry hexes? It seems the game somehow sees the naval unit as a unit using the ferry hex, so a ground unit can't move into the hex. When a ground unit is in the hex using the ferry, naval units can move in and out of the hex freely.

[Image: bj50zpb.jpg]

-

What kind of clever editor trick did you use for the invisible rail bridge across the Crna Reka north of Palikura?

-

Edit: in the Fourth Invasion campaign scenario, hexes 151,85 and 152,85 are shown as Field hexes on the map and have Field fire modifiers (-10%), but they contain RUBBLE.
04-15-2020, 05:05 AM,
(04-14-2020, 06:54 PM)ComradeP Wrote: Is it working as intended when naval units block ferry hexes? It seems the game somehow sees the naval unit as a unit using the ferry hex, so a ground unit can't move into the hex. When a ground unit is in the hex using the ferry, naval units can move in and out of the hex freely.
Page 24 of the FWWC manual states that "Riverboat units block Full-Hex Ferries."
04-15-2020, 05:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-15-2020, 05:08 AM by ComradeP.)
Ah, thanks!

It's not mentioned in the Full Hex Ferry part of the manual. It can be a bit of a puzzle to find the information you need in the manuals.

I remembered the part about pontoon bridges, but not ferries.