• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Serbia '14
11-10-2020, 06:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-10-2020, 06:32 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
RE: Serbia '14
Yes you guys are on the right track with this, Ed is out of town right now but he asked me to post this explanation ....

"Essentially it’s working correctly, because Travel Mode signifies them on skis. That said, it’s probably a bit extreme to the degree that travel mode should not be much worse than walking on foot in the mud (since we can imagine that they would take off the skis and walk).

So really it’s an oversight. I’ll look into improving it in a future update, but in the meantime it’s technically working as designed (not a bug, per se, in the behavior, just not the best value used in the parameters data)."

Thanks for flagging this issue up.....  Wink
Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2020, 08:43 AM,
I would suggest that he just use the same method that is used for motorized infantry units such as we see in Tunisia. That is they have the "go on foot" command and can regain their truck (ski) status when in range of the HQ. However in this case just set it up to allow the player to set "go on foot" on or off manually since it goes to reason that they would just carry their skis or have them nearby in wagons or pack animals. As it is now the units will never make it to the front in time to get into any fighting as they have to detrain quite a ways from the front lines in the Serbian 14th invasion. Even with over 200 turns left they would probably just lag behind the fighting and not be of much use if they were to get near the fight. The terrain is too dire to have to rely on normal movement all the time.

It is a shame because these units along with the rest of the Alpine Korps are the only real high quality troops that the CP gets. But I have 2/3rd of the unit that work well and all the artillery so it is not the end of the world.
11-10-2020, 05:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-10-2020, 05:11 PM by ComradeP.)
The Ski MG units might not reach the front in time to do much, but depending on where the frontline is the regular Ski units should be able to reach the front in time to make their presence felt. There's no more Mud after November 1st, and during Snow turns they'll be moving across the map at 4-5 hexes each turn.

Moving in T-mode along Trails is only faster for Foot units if they're moving through difficult terrain. The terrain in northern Serbia isn't that bad aside from the hills in the west and east near the Drina/Danube, and in other areas you can always move through a valley.
11-11-2020, 01:05 PM,
(11-10-2020, 05:09 PM)ComradeP Wrote: The Ski MG units might not reach the front in time to do much, but depending on where the frontline is the regular Ski units should be able to reach the front in time to make their presence felt. There's no more Mud after November 1st, and during Snow turns they'll be moving across the map at 4-5 hexes each turn.

Moving in T-mode along Trails is only faster for Foot units if they're moving through difficult terrain. The terrain in northern Serbia isn't that bad aside from the hills in the west and east near the Drina/Danube, and in other areas you can always move through a valley.

Good to know that we get snow. That will help get them up. Actually with the mud and terrain I find I have to rely on T mode quite a lot. Even sometimes into the teeth of the defenders. Time is still a factor in this one.