• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Fall Kreml Weather??
12-23-2019, 02:45 PM,
RE: Fall Kreml Weather??
Unless you play with programmed weather, each possible vis within the range - 1 to 5 in this case - is as likely as another. So it is bad luck. The scenario could be set to have a minimum of 2, that would be up to David. Or play with programmed weather, that allows each day to have its own range of visibilities, making it unlikely, depending on setup, to have more than a day of poor vis.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
Quote this message in a reply
12-23-2019, 05:26 PM,
Unfortunately there is no programmed weather for the Fall Kreml campaigns. The weather.dat file just has a single entry for the start date of 28 June 42.
12-23-2019, 11:18 PM,
(12-23-2019, 05:26 PM)Green Wrote: Unfortunately there is no programmed weather for the Fall Kreml campaigns. The weather.dat file just has a single entry for the start date of 28 June 42.

Back up the original weather.dat file and add an entry for the upcoming day with a minimum value of two. That should fix the issue.

As Rick said, this pretty unusual and probably have been set at a minimum of two, I’ll look at what potential impacts that would have.

David
01-20-2020, 02:25 AM,
(12-23-2019, 11:18 PM)Strela Wrote: Back up the original weather.dat file and add an entry for the upcoming day with a minimum value of two. That should fix the issue.
Sorry for bringing this issue up again, but something does not seem right...I'm now on Turn 50 (06:00 on July 3), and other than on the 1st day (when it was 3 hexes), the visibility has never been above the bare minimum...three days it was at 1 hex, then I changed the file so that the minimum was two hexes, and visibility has been at 2 hexes for the last two days...isn't it supposed to change every now and then?

I note that on the first day the weather forecast included a visibility forecast as well, but now it does not, which does not sound good.
02-27-2020, 05:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-27-2020, 05:19 AM by 76mm.)
This unbelievable weather continues...now at turn 60 (day 6?) and haven't had visibility above 2 hexes since Day 1.  For four days out of six, visibility has been @ 1.  In Russia.  In the middle of the summer.  

I changed the weather.dat file so that the minimum would be 2 (after three days of visibility = 1), but it didn't improve beyond 2, and now I got a storm, which apparently causes the visibility to drop to 1.  Again.  Sigh.

Meanwhile, for some reason, the weather report doesn't mention the storm at all, and the command report says that "visibility is improving", which is obviously not the case (since it is @ 1).  Not exactly clear...

Not sure that I'm ready to endure with another ten turns of 1 visibility--is that any way that I can increase the visibility RIGHT NOW? Otherwise it's gotten to the point where I might have to abandon this game, which would be a first due to weather...
02-27-2020, 02:23 PM,
The storm forces vis to be 1, no matter the underlying vis range. Based on the vis is improving message, you should see at least vis=3 once the storm ends. But I don't know of a way to "end" the story in the middle of a day, so you would have to endure another day of vis 1, it appears.

Only other option I can think of is go back to before midnight, after editing the weather.dat further to eliminate a chance of storm, and proceeding again.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
02-29-2020, 05:38 AM,
I think the trouble is that once visibility starts to change, it often continues to do so until it reaches either the maximum or minimum. It can then stick at this new value for some time. Remaining unchanged for several days is not unusual. I have run some quick tests and have been able to recreate the problem you have been having, more than once. If you have a range of 1 to 5, and enough turns, at some point you will have several consecutive days of visibility 1.

So, even though your visibility is now finally improving (after the Storm, anyway) at some point in the future it is likely to drop back down to the new minimum of 2 and potentially stay there for a number of days. If you feel that this is unrealistic, then the simplest thing to do is change the weather.dat file to have a range of 3 to 5. It is a compromise but possibly better that than abandoning the game.
02-29-2020, 06:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-29-2020, 06:29 AM by 76mm.)
(02-27-2020, 02:23 PM)Ricky B Wrote: Only other option I can think of is go back to before midnight, after editing the weather.dat further to eliminate a chance of storm, and proceeding again.
oh, duh, why didn't I think of that... That's definitely what I'll do, would have to play a few turns over but better than 10 or more I guess...