• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Renaissance Optional Rules: Best 4 historical accuracy
12-16-2019, 02:04 AM,
Feedback Needed  Renaissance Optional Rules: Best 4 historical accuracy
Dear History buffs:

I really like Renaissance and I would be delighted to disccuss which Optional Rules Setting fits better for historical accuracy. Here is my guess, but I would be delighted to discuss them with any other history buff:

Manual Defensive Fire: OFF
Victory Point for Leader Cusualties: OM
Rout Limiting: OFF
Isolation Rules: ON
Optional Fire Results: ON
Melee Terrain Modifiers: ON
Column Pass Through Fire: ON
Target Density Modifier: ON
No Retreats Overrrun: OFF

Weak Zone-Of-Control: ON
Partial Retreats: ON
Line Movement Restriction: ON
Flank Morale Modifier: ON
Optional Melee Results: ON
Multiple Calvalry Melees: ON
Multiple Infantry Melees: OFF
No Opportunity Fire Against Skirmishers: ON
No Melee Elimintations: OFF

Regards,

Juan
Quote this message in a reply
12-17-2019, 12:14 AM,
RE: Renaissance Optional Rules: Best 4 historical accuracy
I prefer NME ON myself as it can lead to blitz tactics and unrealistically high losses.
01-11-2020, 10:50 PM,
(12-17-2019, 12:14 AM)agmoss99 Wrote: I prefer NME ON myself as it can lead to blitz tactics and unrealistically high losses.

Thank you very much for your feedback, Agmoss99!

So your proposal is that "No Melee eliminations" leads to more realistic and historical accurate results than "Partial Retreats", isn't it?

I guessed that a group of warriors being overwhelmed with no rout to scape would flod neighbouring units. But given that this option could even not be available at all, the expected result should be an stiff last resistance. Any case, sudden and complete elimination seems not realistic and as you say, may lead to gamey tactics.

Thank you for you advise!

Juan

(sorry for my late response)
01-14-2020, 01:14 PM,
Go for Manual Defensive Fire. I know it's a hassle to play in phases but that is the only way musketry makes a difference.
AFAIk the game is not different from that of the Napoleonic series and here the casualties compared to the size of the unit matters a lot if a moral check is triggered or not.
The trouble playing without MDF is that the fire is only conducted at 50% and only randomly triggered, so a unit may walk up to you without being fired on, what is pretty silly. But even if it gets fire the trigger test is done instantly and with just 50% fire the casualties are so low that triggering a moral test is unlikely.

That is why the latest release of the Napoleonic series switched to phase as standard but even then introduced some new rules to make this un-challenged walk up to a defensive line by an attacker more demanding by adding the possibility of disruption to the attacker.
02-10-2020, 07:02 AM,
Thank for your feedback!

You put me in serious trouble Big Grin since I can agree with you, but to have challenge and a lot of fun, I have to play with human brains (I use IA just to learn the game mechanics), and that means for me (unable to synchronise free time slots otherwise), to play by email.

Playing by phases multiplies by 4 the massages exchanges and that's deterrent...
02-10-2020, 08:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-10-2020, 08:08 AM by BigDuke66.)
Indeed that is some extra work, but maybe also not.
- You can try to speed things up by exchanging phase via dropbox, this should be quicker and easier compared to exchanging mails.
- You could try to play small scenarios online if you can synchronize with your opponent. Doesn't have to be long as you can get a lot done in a single hour in a small scenario. maybe even get it done in comparison to several days even when using turns.
- For the big scenarios phases are a good thing for a daily exchange, battles can be so huge that doing a complete turn might take several days or even being delayed to the weekend while just doing a phase can be done daily, so you might not even be slower playing phases compared to turns.
02-10-2020, 05:45 PM,
If you want historical accuracy Manual Defensive Fire is a must.

And IMHO the slower pace is also more appropiate for the historical era.
02-11-2020, 12:05 AM,
Thank you very much for your insights!

You're convincing me :)

I'll try the next time.

Dear Lecrop, what do you mean for "the slower pace".

My best regards

Juan
02-11-2020, 12:18 AM,
(02-11-2020, 12:05 AM)JuanModesto Wrote: Dear Lecrop, what do you mean for "the slower pace".

I mean that the fact of playing in phases forces you to go at a slower pace, to plan your movements more carefully, to think more. And that way of proceeding seems more adjusted to the historical era that these games want to represent.

Perhaps I'm being too metaphysical, but I hope you understand me  Crazy Big Grin2
02-11-2020, 01:56 AM,
Thanks for your help!

Hopefully I will be able to exchange emails (with our respective phases) with you both one day.

My best!

Juan