• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

WPW new rules help
12-03-2019, 11:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2019, 03:52 AM by phoenix.)
WPW new rules help
I'm really enjoying this title. I think the maps are great, an improvement on BPW, for sure. I have a few queries about the new rules, if anyone can chip in?

The new rules make gameplay (and I've only played against the AI so far, having heard that the AI was also improved...) a bit challenging compared to before. In particular, in some scenarios the no out of command melee rule is pretty tough where there are long thin lines to be held, with some scenarios starting out with many units out of command not because the line units are too far from their immediate commander, I think, but because he is too far from his, or there is a gap even further back down the line - is that how it works? 

In the notes it was written that the movement threat disorder rule is meant to reflect the reluctance of infantry to melee without first 'softening up' enemy units. If the idea, thus, is to encourage more firing and less headlong dashes to melee then that seems really great. But, I have a query about how you're meant to soften up units without risking disorder. The max ranges for the rule to take effect are, I think (from the user manual) 2 hexes from infantry, 4 from artillery and 6 from cavalry. Is that right? If so then it would be difficult to safely 'soften up' cavalry (especially) except with arty, given the usual musket ranges. Anyone have any advice on how to approach and fight now that the new rule is there?  

Can we look forward to updates adding these rules into older titles, I wonder?

Finally, the default optional rule dialogue seems to appear with manual defensive fire ticked, but I didn't see this as a recommendation anywhere, I think. Is it a recommendation from the designer, does anyone know, that we play with MDF instead of turns?

Many thanks.
Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2019, 02:19 AM,
RE: WPW new rules help
In the design notes the designer says that he set the phased play as default. That is in the Notes.pdf
12-05-2019, 05:55 AM,
Missed that. Thanks. I've been playing in turns so far.
12-07-2019, 05:40 AM,
(12-03-2019, 11:21 PM)phoenix Wrote: I'm really enjoying this title. I think the maps are great, an improvement on BPW, for sure. I have a few queries about the new rules, if anyone can chip in?

The new rules make gameplay (and I've only played against the AI so far, having heard that the AI was also improved...) a bit challenging compared to before. In particular, in some scenarios the no out of command melee rule is pretty tough where there are long thin lines to be held, with some scenarios starting out with many units out of command not because the line units are too far from their immediate commander, I think, but because he is too far from his, or there is a gap even further back down the line - is that how it works? 

In the notes it was written that the movement threat disorder rule is meant to reflect the reluctance of infantry to melee without first 'softening up' enemy units. If the idea, thus, is to encourage more firing and less headlong dashes to melee then that seems really great. But, I have a query about how you're meant to soften up units without risking disorder. The max ranges for the rule to take effect are, I think (from the user manual) 2 hexes from infantry, 4 from artillery and 6 from cavalry. Is that right? If so then it would be difficult to safely 'soften up' cavalry (especially) except with arty, given the usual musket ranges. Anyone have any advice on how to approach and fight now that the new rule is there?  

Can we look forward to updates adding these rules into older titles, I wonder?

Finally, the default optional rule dialogue seems to appear with manual defensive fire ticked, but I didn't see this as a recommendation anywhere, I think. Is it a recommendation from the designer, does anyone know, that we play with MDF instead of turns?

Many thanks.

The no detached melee pertains to the units direct superior. So if the Brigade leader has all of his units in command, then all can melee. Regardless if the leader is detached from his superior. When a battalion of infantry (for example) has the Detached label, then it is only pertaining to it's direct superior.

If an infantry brigade advances slowly - in formation (same units regiments on either flank) then they stand a decent chance of closing to musket range...and even if one regiment fails the check, the others can close. Worse case, they will be a formed defensive line which will deter the cavalry from advancing.

It's noted in the Changes.txt file too about MDF being a default...but as with any optional rule - it's optional, so you can change as desired!  :-) 

And yes, some time next year we'll roll updates out for the entire series so that all titles will have the same core engine.
12-07-2019, 06:05 AM,
Excellent. |Thanks, Rahamy.

But when you say - 'if an infantry brigade advances slowly - in formation...' do you mean in column or line?
12-07-2019, 07:30 AM,
Either...but advancing to contact is better in line so you can return fire with more potency...
12-08-2019, 07:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-08-2019, 11:22 PM by phoenix.)
error
12-08-2019, 08:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-08-2019, 08:50 AM by phoenix.)
error