• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Simple fix needed
12-07-2019, 07:16 AM,
RE: Simple fix needed
(12-07-2019, 02:18 AM)Herr Straße Laufer Wrote: Dave asked for help. I thought he did not know about the abandonment until I saw Berto's post. Struck me funny. The answer could have been, "Hey, I spent two seconds and here is a code to put into your folder to enlarge the field." 

HSL

Actually, I did know, I'd just forgotten. My problem isn't that the developers want to concentrate on the future, it's that there is currently no replacement, good or bad, for the past (which is, ~ahem, still current). When Adobe or Microsoft drop support for a product that continues to evolve, it's because they want you to buy the new version. Forget that the new version often just fixes the bugs prevalent in the earlier version, that's an argument for another day, but my point is they have an alternative, "like Acrobat?, buy version Acrobat 2045".

I have Matrix's JTCS that Jason Petho brought back to life and marketed until he became focused on a new game Middle East and now Viet Nam. There is no EFIII or WFIII or RSIII. (At the moment no VN either). So no replacement at all for JTCS which is still sold in Matrix list of current games. It's not, I believe, sold in the legacy section.

My question "...or is this a big deal?" was a bit loaded. It was based on my knowledge of web programming languages and programming in general, not C++, so I can't be 100% assured, more like 95%, so I politely asked. Berto's comment was unexpectedly different. Instead of saying it will take months of coding and testing he basically said, no, I don't want to. Politely. I can't with argue with that. If he had said yes it's time-consuming and difficult and you're a moron for even bringing the matter up, I could call him out, since I know it isn't and I'm not. I don't want to is completely different. Shut me up.  Big Grin

I like the evolution the game has taken with ME, and soon, VN...but I prefer the history of WWII. So JTCS is most relevant with players like me and I don't care that it doesn't have the bells and whistles the new versions will have. I don't want to have to wait many years, I suspect, for CSIII to make fixes and updates to the current game, still being sold. So, yes, I don't mind saying I'm disappointed and I sincerely hope a little second-thought reasoning can come into play. Keep your customers happy. Listen to them and cater to their needs and desires and you'll have a customer for life. Jeez. It's just a simple text box change. 

...but, no worries, I'll live.

Dave

PS: The Blitz isn't dying, maybe these style of games are, maybe not. New members are still being logged, not just for CS but our other gaming ladder forums as well. I suspect it's no different at other clubs, though the Blitz is my one and only. There will always be members who will step up and help with the day-to-day management of the site. We're a community. Jim Mays has been dealing with the transition from military life to civilian and, while not around anymore, continues to financially back the club. I communicate with him from time-to-time. He responds in emergencies, not so much for simple greetings. Usually, I just leave him alone and pray he's well. Several site officers have stated they will take over the site should Jim wish to let it go. I'm one of them. Plan for a fight.  Smile 

Maybe Big Ivan is right, though, about tournaments. We haven't had one in ages. I've never run one. Kinda hoping someone else would do it, but what the hell, stay tuned.
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Simple fix needed - by Scud - 12-03-2019, 01:38 PM
RE: Simple fix needed - by berto - 12-06-2019, 02:06 AM
RE: Simple fix needed - by Herr Straße Laufer - 12-06-2019, 09:42 AM
RE: Simple fix needed - by Big Ivan - 12-06-2019, 11:47 AM
RE: Simple fix needed - by Deturk - 12-06-2019, 09:47 PM
RE: Simple fix needed - by Herr Straße Laufer - 12-07-2019, 02:18 AM
RE: Simple fix needed - by Scud - 12-07-2019, 07:16 AM
RE: Simple fix needed - by berto - 12-07-2019, 11:44 PM
RE: Simple fix needed - by fritzfarlig - 12-08-2019, 05:07 AM