• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Editing OOB's
10-17-2019, 12:38 PM,
Editing OOB's
Forgive me if this has been explained in the manuals.  I cannot find the explanation.

I have taken the following line from an OOB file:

U 233 4 C C 48 212 1/2nd Penn Cav

I would imagine the "U" means unit.
The "233" is the number of men in the unit.
What does the "4" represent???
The "C C" probably means cavalry carbine.
What does the "48" and "212" represent?

Thank you.  I'm sure I will have additional questions going forward.
Quote this message in a reply
10-17-2019, 07:42 PM,
RE: Editing OOB's
the 4 is the unit quality which translates as C I think
the last 2 numbers refer to the unit box image and the icons/images on the map

does that help?
10-18-2019, 12:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-18-2019, 12:20 AM by KEYSTONE07950.)
Very helpful. Thank you.

I'm looking at the Organization files in the OOB folder. I admit, I'm mystified. Where does it come from and what does it represent?
Do any of the manuals explain this? I cannot find it.

Thanks again.
10-18-2019, 08:16 AM,
Mr Moss is correct, those 2 values represent graphics.  The first one is what is for what they call unit portraits.  The guys that appear whenever you click on a hex with units.   I believe it is the units.bmp file of the info folder.

The other value is for the 3D graphics - that one is a bit tougher to tell you exactly where is it - as there are files A through G maybe in the like 3Dunits100A, etc .... or something similar in the Map folder.  I think the A through whatever are called based upon the unit type that you code in the OOB itself (ie - cavalry, infantry, artillery, etc ...) .

How you find where these are ... the rows go like this   0-9, then 10-19, and so on .... the number directly corresponds to the number on the oob line - so if you were to change your first number ( that you were trying to work out to, say 3 - and save it  -going in to the game finding that unit - you would now see the picture in position 3 on that graphic file.

That meaning it depends upon which of the 2 slots that you changed.

If you don't the 3D when you play -then you wouldn't bother with changing that.
Send this user an email
10-18-2019, 09:17 AM,
I wish to thank you and Mr. Moss for the valuable explanations. I am able to piece together the OOB files now.

What I cannot figure out is the ORG files within the OOB folder. Are either of you able to shed some light on that for me?
Is it a byproduct of the OOB file? Does it have to be created from scratch? What do all the digits represent?

Thank you for any information you may be able to give.
10-18-2019, 07:36 PM,
(10-18-2019, 09:17 AM)KEYSTONE07950 Wrote: I wish to thank you and Mr. Moss for the valuable explanations.  I am able to piece together the OOB files now.

What I cannot figure out is the ORG files within the OOB folder.  Are either of you able to shed some light on that for me?
Is it a byproduct of the OOB file?  Does it have to be created from scratch?  What do all the digits represent?

Thank you for any information you may be able to give.

I do almost all of my work in the Musket and Pike series; that engine doesn't use that sort of thing, in fact the only reference to an .org file is the below from the notes from Campaign Overland (and even that wasn't newly added.).  If I had to make an educated guess, I would say it is something that the scenario designer for Campaign Overland came up with. He also did a lot of work with the updates that were recently put out -so it might be likely that it got added to all of the titles now. I don't have any updated documentation with my updated versions, so I can't say if it was documented or not - I know that the below is all that I, personally, have.

I can't honestly say that I can make any sense out of this explanation - it is just a straight copy/paste.  Because of that maybe put it to support at johntillersoftware dot com.  

[qoute]Order of Battle

Independently of HPS and John Tiller Games, I have been working on a compendium on the Union and Confederate armies since about 2001. Dyer’s Compendium was published before the end of the 19th Century and does an amazing job of documenting the organization of the Union Army, and would have been a monumental task even with a computer. A similar work has not covered the Confederates, mainly because a lack of records made such an undertaking nearly impossible. Stewart Sifakis has published a Confederate Compendium, state by state, while my compendium takes that information and builds the composition of the armies, month by month, for the entire war. While these games feature an “Org File” (an ugly moniker, I’ve always felt), my compendium’s file includes a ten-digit number for each unit, each month, for 48 months. In the case of the Union Army, rather than duplicate Dyer, I only addressed certain months and units involved in major actions in those months. Taking May 1863 as an example, I only included those units in Grant’s Army at Vicksburg and Hooker’s Army of the Potomac. May of 1864 includes the armies of Meade, Bulter, Sigel and Sherman. Sorting everybody’s number as of the First of May, 1864, gave me the start point for an order of battle for each “Epoch” of the campaign.[/quote]
Send this user an email
10-18-2019, 10:52 PM,
The .org files are used in the campaigns, you do not want to mess with those as it will foul up the campaigns.
For more information on the.org file  see the Campaign Editor Help file, cwcamp.pdf in the Manuals folder.
10-19-2019, 12:32 AM,
(10-18-2019, 10:52 PM)krmiller Wrote: The .org files are used in the campaigns, you do not want to mess with those as it will foul up the campaigns.
For more information on the.org file  see the Campaign Editor Help file, cwcamp.pdf in the Manuals folder.

Thank you.  I found the section in the pdf you referred to.  Will have to figure it out by trial and error!

I think I will stick to editing scenarios for the time being!
10-19-2019, 08:22 AM,
(10-18-2019, 10:52 PM)krmiller Wrote: The .org files are used in the campaigns, you do not want to mess with those as it will foul up the campaigns.

Interesting, as it is in the other series campaign editor manuals (or at least the one I looked at) - but I never actually found any.org files.  That being said I hadn't actually edited campaigns. 

Appreciated the information, KM.
Send this user an email
10-20-2019, 12:00 AM,
(10-19-2019, 12:32 AM)KEYSTONE07950 Wrote: ...

I think I will stick to editing scenarios for the time being!

Just wanted to remind you to make sure you save the file under another name before making any changes.
You do not want to change your stock scenario, oob or pdt files as this will affect any games you play.

When editing any files I normally use the original name with something like _abc so I know it is a mod.  If you modify the pdt and oob files for a scenario it's a good idea to make the additions to the names similar.

Also when modding a scenario file it is a good idea to add something to the description that covers what you changed such as whether you moved units, changed reinforcements, modified pdt etc.