• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Stalingrad Gold Don Bridges
09-10-2019, 08:37 PM,
Stalingrad Gold Don Bridges
At present I am in a PBEM game, Stalingrad Gold, scenario #0723_01 Don Bend as the Russians.
I have a engineer unit at hex location 109 12 adjacent to a bridge over the Don.
I wanted to blow this bridge but when I commanded the unit to do this it does not allow it, it  states there is no bridge adjacent to this hex.
I can't understand this, because on the map the bridge is obvious and when you click on that hex it states it is a bridge hex.
I checked out the other Don bridges and they are all the same when you click on the hex adjacent to them they just state primary road.

Any ideas, this has completely ruined my strategy however improbable that may have been. Whistle

Cheers,

Gordon
Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2019, 11:31 PM,
RE: Stalingrad Gold Don Bridges
That's because you didn't read the manual. Big Grin

Page 52:
Quote:It is possible for Engineer units to attempt to damage a Full-Hex Bridge, but it involves a multi-step process:

1. In Travel Mode, the Engineer unit must first move onto the bridge.
2. In the next turn, the Engineer unit can use the Bridge Operations command to begin wiring the bridge for demolition.
3. When the Bridge Operations complete, the bridge is shown as WIRED in the Terrain Info Box indicating that it is wired for demolition.
4. At this point the Engineer unit can move off the bridge and occupy an adjacent hex. The Engineer unit should also change into Deployed Mode at this point.
5. At any subsequent turn, the Engineer can attempt to blow the bridge by using the Damage Bridge or AT Ditch command.

The program will determine the success or failure of this attempt using the standard bridge damage procedure and using the Heavy Bridge defense parameter value.
Once a Full-Hex Bridge has been damaged, it cannot be repaired.
09-11-2019, 04:57 AM,
(09-10-2019, 11:31 PM)CheerfullyInsane Wrote: That's because you didn't read the manual. Big Grin

Page 52:
Quote:It is possible for Engineer units to attempt to damage a Full-Hex Bridge, but it involves a multi-step process:

1. In Travel Mode, the Engineer unit must first move onto the bridge.
2. In the next turn, the Engineer unit can use the Bridge Operations command to begin wiring the bridge for demolition.
3. When the Bridge Operations complete, the bridge is shown as WIRED in the Terrain Info Box indicating that it is wired for demolition.
4. At this point the Engineer unit can move off the bridge and occupy an adjacent hex. The Engineer unit should also change into Deployed Mode at this point.
5. At any subsequent turn, the Engineer can attempt to blow the bridge by using the Damage Bridge or AT Ditch command.

The program will determine the success or failure of this attempt using the standard bridge damage procedure and using the Heavy Bridge defense parameter value.
Once a Full-Hex Bridge has been damaged, it cannot be repaired.

Thanks Cheerfully Insane,

I've been playing these games a long time and it was years ago when I read the manual.
I'm too old now to remember half of it, or even where I put my printed version of it.
I really don't like reading the manual from the computer as it makes the old eyes tired after a while.
Thanks for the explanation though as it all makes perfect sense now.
That is apart from the fact when right clicking from the adjacent hex where the engineer is, at the moment it does not show a bridge as adjacent to the engineer unit. I am hoping that if I carry out the what you describe when the engineer moves off the bridge and goes back to deployed mode then this will change and the engineer will be able to attempt to blow it ?

Cheers,

Gordon
09-11-2019, 05:08 AM,
(09-11-2019, 04:57 AM)Gordons HQ Wrote: I really don't like reading the manual from the computer as it makes the old eyes tired after a while.

I get that, I'm quickly approaching the age where I have to take my glasses OFF to read anything Whistle 
The advantage of the PDFs though is that you can do word-searches for what you're looking for.

Quote:I am hoping that if I carry out the what you describe when the engineer moves off the bridge and goes back to deployed mode then this will change and the engineer will be able to attempt to blow it ?

Presumably. Aside from quoting the manual, I am of very little help in this particular case.
I don't think I've ever attempted to blow up a full-hex bridge.
09-11-2019, 05:33 AM,
I made a modified version of that scenario with the engineer unit not fixed.

Turn 2 moved engineer onto bridge.
Turn 3 started the bridge operations.
Turn 15 operation finished and engineer unit is shown as isolated and bridge is shown as wired.
Turn 16 moved unit to original hex.
Turn 17 destroyed the bridge.
09-12-2019, 03:36 AM,
(09-11-2019, 05:33 AM)wildb Wrote: I made a modified version of that scenario with the engineer unit not fixed.

Turn 2 moved engineer onto bridge.
Turn 3 started the bridge operations.
Turn 15 operation finished and engineer unit is shown as isolated and bridge is shown as wired.
Turn 16 moved unit to original hex.
Turn 17 destroyed the bridge.

Thanks wildb, yes the engineer unit fixed is a problem for that type of operation, at least I know it can be done.
Lol, I doubt I will have 17 turns available to do it in our present game.

Cheers,

Gordon