• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Save/scenario file formats
09-05-2019, 06:20 AM,
Save/scenario file formats
Is any information published about how to read these files, if I wanted to write a program to do it?  I want to write a tracker/housekeeping app for this.  I don't care so much about PBEM games and I think those are encrypted anyway, I really just want it for my solo games.  The files are just text files, but just contain mostly numbers.  I could probably figure out how to interpret them with some trial and error, but figured I'd ask in case there is any documentation out there.
Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2019, 10:26 AM,
RE: Save/scenario file formats
Along these same lines, I would pay good money for an app/utility that displayed the .oob file in a much easier to read and graphically pleasing format.
09-05-2019, 12:10 PM,
I think the OOB file would be easier, just looking over it. It seems relatively straightforward, but it would take a bit of work to figure out what all of the numeric values are for each of the units. The scenario and battle files seem to be mostly numbers, some of which I assume are ID references back to the OOB file.

The ultimate thing, for me, would be to have a better viewer for the scheduled reinforcements window. I just find it really painful to pore through that and I can't figure out how to resize the window so I can see the full unit names in the list.
09-05-2019, 01:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-05-2019, 01:39 PM by Ricky B.)
So I figured out the scenario data structure 19 years ago and built an editor to parse the details for editing, display/print the OOB for the scenario (including strength/fatigue), etc. It has changed since then, and whatever notes I made are long gone. I could dig out and send you my C++ code, I used Borland C++ Builder for the program and it has some details around the pieces I cared about. The compiler doesn't work any more.

Let me know and I can see what I can do.

Alternatively I can share the program itself, which still runs but the scenario data structures have changed a bit and so it doesn't display some details quite correctly.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
09-05-2019, 02:07 PM,
That would be fantastic! The code would be a great starting point.
09-05-2019, 10:42 PM,
What is your email? You will need to sort out my code to find how I parsed things up :-).

Rick
09-06-2019, 12:44 AM,
PM sent. No problem, software engineering is my day job so I'm quite used to it :)
09-06-2019, 02:49 AM,
Email sent. As I noted there, C++ was more a hobby for me than a profession, although I wrote a couple of programs back in the late 90s for internal work purposes.

Rick