• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

AI Artillery Spotting
08-30-2019, 07:38 PM,
RE: AI Artillery Spotting
(08-30-2019, 01:22 PM)Ricky B Wrote:
(08-29-2019, 01:45 PM)Zoetermeer Wrote: ...the one I do see is to the west and surrounded.  …

So the surrounded status has no impact on spotting. And my eye counts it as being 5 hexes to some of the units in the circle, but maybe it is the furthest in your circle being hit? From what I recall, the game manual states somewhere that dust spotting doubles the current vis range for the dust being visible, so as long as the current vis is at least 4 hexes, the isolated Soviet units are likely the spotters.

Rick

Thanks for the explanation, Rick. I had ignored the isolated Soviet units as their line of sight to the to the targeted Germans is blocked by the field in 46,60. It had not occurred to me that this field would not block line of sight to a cloud of dust!
Quote this message in a reply
08-30-2019, 11:05 PM,
Different elevations might also make a difference.
08-31-2019, 06:51 AM,
(08-30-2019, 11:05 PM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: Different elevations might also make a difference.

Yes, the Germans are on a 'plateau' but it is possible that Soviet units outside the visibility of the Germans could be at sufficient elevation to still spot their dust. As Rick mentioned (although I cannot find it in the the manual), if the current visibility is 5 hexes then the range to see the dust cloud would be 10 hexes. Within this radius there are potential locations for Soviet spotters to have a line-of-sight to (but not be seen by) the Germans.

Regardless, in this particular case there is no change in elevation between the Isolated Soviet units and the German units, so it makes sense that they can easily see the dust cloud over the field.