• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

First Impressions
08-29-2019, 12:00 AM,
Thumbs_Up  First Impressions
This past weekend, I purchased my first ACW Campaign series title, Gettysburg.  Last night, I embarked on the getting started scenario, wanting to make sure that I was as familiar as possible with the UI from the beginning.  I have to say that this series has just utterly blown me away with it's beautiful graphics, and combined with the game mechanics really help to immerse the player and make them feel like they are actually on the battlefield !  My next task is to make sure that I am using the proper Optional Rules to ensure that the casualties I am seeing are accurate, etc. etc.  I have read and re-read through the stickie in this forum on Optional Rules, and will use that as a guide of sorts.

All the best,
Travis
"Plans are nothing; planning is everything." Dwight D. Eisenhower
Quote this message in a reply
08-29-2019, 04:55 AM,
RE: First Impressions
(08-29-2019, 12:00 AM)beldurax Wrote: This past weekend, I purchased my first ACW Campaign series title, Gettysburg.  Last night, I embarked on the getting started scenario, wanting to make sure that I was as familiar as possible with the UI from the beginning.  I have to say that this series has just utterly blown me away with it's beautiful graphics, and combined with the game mechanics really help to immerse the player and make them feel like they are actually on the battlefield !  My next task is to make sure that I am using the proper Optional Rules to ensure that the casualties I am seeing are accurate, etc. etc.  I have read and re-read through the stickie in this forum on Optional Rules, and will use that as a guide of sorts.

All the best,
Travis

Welcome aboard Travis! I hope you're enjoying your purchase! Gettysburg is an excellent first choice with a ton of scenarios and variants. The other titles in the series are also well worth it too.
"If you want to know a man's true character, give him some power." - Abraham Lincoln (attributed)
09-02-2019, 08:54 AM,
(08-29-2019, 12:00 AM)beldurax Wrote: This past weekend, I purchased my first ACW Campaign series title, Gettysburg.  Last night, I embarked on the getting started scenario, wanting to make sure that I was as familiar as possible with the UI from the beginning.  I have to say that this series has just utterly blown me away with it's beautiful graphics, and combined with the game mechanics really help to immerse the player and make them feel like they are actually on the battlefield !  My next task is to make sure that I am using the proper Optional Rules to ensure that the casualties I am seeing are accurate, etc. etc.  I have read and re-read through the stickie in this forum on Optional Rules, and will use that as a guide of sorts.

All the best,
Travis

I'm partial to the eastern theater titles, and Getty is a good place to start. Hope you enjoy it.

Here's the optional rules I generally prefer to use:

.png   ACW-opt-rules.png (Size: 11.81 KB / Downloads: 234)
09-02-2019, 12:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-02-2019, 12:16 PM by Aolain.)
I, too, have just gotten a ACW game--I am a hard corp MC player--at the encouragement of a gaming friend.

Like the OP, I find the system quite good!

I have always kept clear of black powder games as the "line/column" business was off putting to me. But it seems to flow quite nicely with these games (I have Peninsula).

My impression is, after only a few hours playing with the system, is that it puts a premium on pre-battle prep and getting your troops to the right place at the right time.
09-02-2019, 07:44 PM,
Yep...an ounce of preparation is worth a pound of cure...and better keep some reserves!
09-03-2019, 10:51 PM,
Terrain plays such an important role and I am finding I really have to manage the positioning of my troops wisely else I get caught in a bad situation, terrain-wise. I agree also Aolain -- the line/column mechanics flow very well !
"Plans are nothing; planning is everything." Dwight D. Eisenhower