• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Japan '45 Optional Rules
08-22-2019, 10:00 AM,
Japan '45 Optional Rules
In Japan '45 I see that Manual Defensive Fire is not a default optional rule but Automatic Defensive Fire is. Perhaps I have got this wrong but my understanding is that Automatic Defensive Fire is redundant in this situation.   

I could not see anything in the Notes to explain why this rule is used but they did mention that it was used by the playtest team. So presumably it made sense to those involved.

Of course, if my understanding is correct then it is no big deal as the rule would have no affect. But doubtless I am mistaken, so it would be could to get some clarification on this rule.
Quote this message in a reply
08-23-2019, 08:42 AM,
RE: Japan '45 Optional Rules
Here is why I chose to use the rule right from the Help manual:

Automatic Defensive Fire – this rule only applies to PBEM (Play-By-E-Mail) and Manual Defensive Fire. When selected, the computer will conduct the Defensive Fire Phase for the enemy side. This cuts in half the number of e-mail transfers required to play a game using PBEM.

So I set it as default to help the PBEM players out.
08-23-2019, 10:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-23-2019, 10:17 AM by Kool Kat.)
(08-23-2019, 08:42 AM)Sgt_Rock Wrote: Here is why I chose to use the rule right from the Help manual:

Automatic Defensive Fire – this rule only applies to PBEM (Play-By-E-Mail) and Manual Defensive Fire. When selected, the computer will conduct the Defensive Fire Phase for the enemy side. This cuts in half the number of e-mail transfers required to play a game using PBEM.

So I set it as default to help the PBEM players out.

Gent:  Smoke7

Wait? That does not make sense to me.  Batman Confused

Automatic Defensive Fire is an optional rule introduced specifically to address issues raised when players use Manual Defensive Fire (playing the game in multiple phases.) It ONLY speeds up PBeM games in which players are using the Manual Defensive Fire optional rule. 

As the Blitz guidance for use of Optional Rules states: "Manual Defense Fire: This rule allows you to play the game in phases, as 99% of players play these titles with the default single phase I will not discuss this rule."

NET: There is NO reason for "Automatic Defensive Fire" to be checked as a default Optional Rule for Japan '45 since "Manual Defensive Fire" is NOT checked and nor should it be checked!  Yikes   PBeM players are NOT going to play these games in phases!

Here's what the Japan '45 Players Manual states about Automatic Defensive Fire:

"Automatic Defensive Fire is an additional Optional Rule that addresses the

main issue introduced by Manual Defensive Fire: that PBEM games now
require 2 mailings per side to complete a single game turn. Under Automatic
Defensive Fire, the computer controls the Defensive Fire Phase."
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
08-23-2019, 11:32 AM,
There is absolutely no impact to the way the vast majority of all players play the games. However, for those that do choose to play with manual defensive fire, having this additional rule on would help out as noted above. So even thought it really shouldn't matter in most cases, it doesn't hurt those players and could help the few that are different.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
08-24-2019, 03:53 PM,
I will discuss it with David Freer. If the rule isn't needed then we will turn it OFF. Thanks.