• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Normandy '44 Gold
07-18-2019, 04:26 AM,
Normandy '44 Gold
Hey,  so I am new to the Panzer Campaigns series.  I am playing The invasion of normandy campaign scenario.  I am really enjoying the game except for one extremely annoying thing.

Here is my situation.....I have around 400 US para's assaulting and isolated, disrupted gun position.  The gun is less than 10 I have killed three that it let me know of.  I am assaulting from 7 sides and my para's for four turns cannot cause losses doing assaults.  Every assault is 1/no effect.  I lose one man nothing happens to the gun.  This very same situation is happening on four other gun positions with other para's not being able to take out isolated guns with overwhelming troop numbers.   I know the guns are supported but this seem's strange to me.

Maybe I am missing something.  Any help would be great.
Quote this message in a reply
07-18-2019, 04:52 AM,
RE: Normandy '44 Gold
Sounds strange? If all enemy units in the hex are disrupted, you should be able to take the hex. If one enemy unit is not disrupted (Say 1 out of 3), then yes, you will usually get the results you are describing.

Also, depending on the terrain and your units, you may be only assaulting with some, not all of a stack? For example, armor units can't enter marsh terrain, etc. Sometimes units can't cross a hex side either, which keeps them out of an assault as well.

I know in Panzer Battles, not all units "appear" or are shown. For example, I've assaulted 2 disrupted units to get a minimal result and then had a HQ unit appear after I assaulted, which I then had to proceed to disrupt. I'm not aware of that happening in Panzer Campaigns though?

The experts can probably solve the puzzle...plus screen shots help identify the issues as well...good luck!
07-18-2019, 05:05 AM,
Do you use the optional rules "Alternative Assault Resolution" & "Optional Surrender" ?

As far as i know you should NOT use Alternative Assault Resolution for Normandy 44 but use Optional Surrender.
07-18-2019, 05:50 AM,
I do have the Alternative assault resolution on.

As for the other stuff, I only have Para's assaulting. They have hit the same hex four turns in a row now for now results to the enemy and I lose 1 man a turn. I have three such fights going on right now with the same issue.

I could start over without the optional rule checked for Alternative assault.
07-18-2019, 06:57 AM,
So I started over without the Alternative assault option and I took all four positions with less men on turn 2 of the campaign. What exactly does Alternative assault do?
07-18-2019, 07:33 AM,
In simple terms it changes the way the engine works out the assault calculation by using a units hard attack value (often 0) when assaulting hard targets (like bunkers) rather than the normal assault value that will be in the region of 14-16.

The rules is often used by designers who want to restrict the ability of infantry who did not carry late war AT weapons (like the bazooka) from assaulting tank units which like bunkers are hard targets.