• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

PzC Gold Leader Mods
07-05-2020, 02:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-05-2020, 05:23 AM by Indragnir.)
RE: PzC Gold Leader Mods
(07-04-2020, 06:36 AM)Green Wrote:
(07-03-2020, 09:05 PM)Lowlander Wrote: John, this is another superb piece of modding which dovetails perfectly into the vanilla Gold version artwork.
Thanks for sharing and the time expended on it is greatly appreciated.
A+1.

Thanks, Ian. Given the design effort that clearly went into this scenario, it seemed a shame that the lack of artwork could have allowed it to become forgotten.

John

Very nice artwork!

BTW I plan a truly massive update for this mod. I can't give any date yet (I've yet to finish at least two other revisions which I'm halfway, then Stalingrad is calling me...) it will take time for sure, I can assure it's massive (bibliography obtained since the days I did the original mod are about 120 books, articlpes, maps and internet sites)
Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2020, 08:32 AM,
(07-05-2020, 02:15 AM)Indragnir Wrote: Very nice artwork!

BTW I plan a truly massive update for this mod. I can't give any date yet (I've yet to finish at least two other revisions which I'm halfway, then Stalingrad is calling me...) it will take time for sure, I can assure it's massive (bibliography obtained since the days I did the original mod are about 120 books, articlpes, maps and internet sites)

That is seriously good news regarding a 'truly massive' update for this scenario. Can't wait to see it.

So you are working on 'two other revisions? I knew you were working on Budapest but what is the other one, if I can ask?  And Stalingrad too! I will certainly look forward to that getting the 'Indragnir' treatment. Looks like you are going to be very busy for the foreseeable future. Smile
07-05-2020, 09:13 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-06-2020, 06:23 AM by Indragnir.)
(07-05-2020, 08:32 AM)Green Wrote:
(07-05-2020, 02:15 AM)Indragnir Wrote: Very nice artwork!

That is seriously good news regarding a 'truly massive' update for this scenario. Can't wait to see it.

So you are working on 'two other revisions? I knew you were working on Budapest but what is the other one, if I can ask?  And Stalingrad too! I will certainly look forward to that getting the 'Indragnir' treatment. Looks like you are going to be very busy for the foreseeable future. Smile

In reality there were 3, but the third is about to finish in a matter of days so I didn't take it into account.
My list in order is:
Korea 85 (will release during the sale for sure. Main campaign with no chinese intervention. Pretty big changes, for example there were no North Korean Armored/Mechanized Corps by 1985)

Kharkov 43 with David 'Strela' Freer (the monster campaign: Gallop+Star)

Budapest 45 (Historical Konrad I, II, III, Komaróm tank battle and the Siege, awaiting for Nevenkin's massive book on the Siege)

After that I plan in no particular order:
-Stalingrad 42 (Historical Uranus, so much is missing from this battle)

-Sicily 43 (Historical Husky, italian OoB greatly updated, US military historians from those days downplayed italian performance and the narrative continued, battle data and more modern researchers have shown how failed was that part of the invasion)

-Updating my Yom Kippur 73 after the opening of classified information on israeli side (specialy Asher, Sakal, Rabinovich and the information I've collected thanks to a kind gentleman that translated from Hebrew the very own Fresh Forums)

-Kursk 43 (Historical Citadel, less work in this one, corrections et all but more balancing and putting in place some new ideas)

-Normandy 44 (Historical Overlord, massive update)

-Bulge 44 (Historical Wacht Am Rhein, much more detailed but giving game balance priority over historical details that, despite their historicity, could harm the balance or make the germans prone to game tactics like snipping or thining the line IMO)

-Tunisia 43 (Historical The End in Africa / Operation Vulcan. This one is one of my pet projects and may be the most innovative of all my 'treatments'. I can tell you the OoB is almost full rework. I found a german document dated just a month after the end that showed every single unit lost in this battle and those who survived before the end, also received great help from italian researchers in this one, the italian OoB is as much detailed as it can be. I've come up with some fixing for mountain battles even without the mountain troops. I own german army original maps with very high resolution (about 250mb per map) that shows not only units but terrain [that need to be modified since relevant mountains and some key locations are missing].
I would like having the Limited VP on the build so that's the main reason not to finish it.)

Also I'm updating Anzio and Korsun after more playtesting and research (specialy from Mike Avanzini)

PS: Sorry I hijacked your thread!
07-06-2020, 06:15 AM,
Thank you for such a detailed response. You can 'hijack' this thread as much as you want.

That is an extremely impressive list. Never occurred to me you would be taking on such a workload. Wish I could offer some assistance but sadly I lack the necessary expertise. However I am available if you are ever short of playtesters. The one game on your list that I do not currently own is Korea 85. Perhaps I should think about changing that situation? Exciting stuff.

By the way, the current build for Tunisia does have the Limited VP available. One of only a handful of titles that does. So nothing is holding you back. Smile

It would be ridiculous to suggest you take on any more tasks but I am curious as to why you have not considered Smolensk as one of your projects. This old title desperately needs an update, in my view. I am biased as this is a personal favorite and it seems to have so much potential for a truly great campaign. Hopefully you will get to this one eventually, although I appreciate it will not be in the short term!
07-06-2020, 07:53 AM,
It's a lot of work indeed but I'm not in a hurry. I enjoy doing this, that's the key.

Korea is an interesting game, very long term thinking scenario. Also with my revision US 9th ID will be fielded as the High-Technology Test-Bed (HTTB) division. From my notes division fielded units like those:
  • Light Attack Battalion (HMMWV GL Mk 19-TOW)
  • Combined Arms Battalion Light (1x M551 Sheridan+ HMMWV-TOW/GL Mk 19 company + 2x light motorized infantry company with HMMWV GL Mk 19. Plus Mortar company, scouts section, TOW platoon)
  • Combined Arms Battalion Heavy (2x M551 Sheridan+ HMMWV-TOW/GL Mk 19 company + 1x light motorized infantry company with HMMWV GL Mk 19. Plus Mortar company, scouts section, TOW platoon)

I take note on Tunis having available Limited VP.

Smolensk... to be honest before I get into a revision I check sources (and the release date) because if no new source is available or just a small not-too-detailed sources are available I can't do much. Last time I checked there were some source scarcity. I know Mr Glantz work on the battle but I've no checked those books so I don't know if he provides enough detail.
Smolensk and Moscow 41 I don't rule out, for Moscow 41-42 battles new detailed sources have appear last years, including Mr Zetterling and Stahel books. Anyway if I finish my plan before I die (I'm still young!) I will think about them.
The battles of Smolensk were the ones that caused Barbarossa defeat in the end (I don't count home logistics since that's not a battle) and that's a point.
07-06-2020, 05:13 PM,
(07-06-2020, 07:53 AM)Indragnir Wrote: Smolensk... to be honest before I get into a revision I check sources (and the release date) because if no new source is available or just a small not-too-detailed sources are available I can't do much. Last time I checked there were some source scarcity. I know Mr Glantz work on the battle but I've no checked those books so I don't know if he provides enough detail.

Thanks for the answer. I believe there is a scarcity of books on Smolensk. Real shame given it's scale and importance. The Glantz books are certainly detailed but whether these details are useful for game design and sufficient for all your requirements, is another matter. And of course his focus is very much on the Russian perspective. So I can see why you have no immediate plans for this game. Just thought I would ask. No doubt, in due course other books on this topic will appear but perhaps that may not be for a while.
07-09-2020, 07:19 PM,
Loving these! Thanks for taking the time to create them.

I was trying to download the mod for France 40, but it says the file is missing?
07-09-2020, 08:33 PM,
(07-09-2020, 07:19 PM)samba_liten Wrote: Loving these!  Thanks for taking the time to create them.

I was trying to download the mod for France 40, but it says the file is missing?

Thanks! Glad you like them.

No idea why the link was not working but I added it again and it seems to be usable now. Any problems, let me know.
10-04-2020, 01:55 PM,
These are really  nice, surprised it's not stickied.

How do I get these into my game, just overwrite the old ones?
cheers
10-04-2020, 02:06 PM,
(10-04-2020, 01:55 PM)lezgo killemall Wrote: These are really  nice, surprised it's not stickied.

How do I get these into my game, just overwrite the old ones?

Highly suggest you use JSGME.  That way whenever a new game update is released you can very easily "uninstall" the mod with one click, update the game, and then reactivate the mod, with one click.

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=65299