• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

PzC Gold Leader Mods
05-26-2019, 08:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-28-2019, 12:30 PM by Green.)
RE: PzC Gold Leader Mods
Thanks Chad,

I had no plans for Japan '45. I think it looks great as it is. Since it is hypothetical, it is not surprising that the leaders are not named. And I assume this was a deliberate design choice, so I did not want to tinker with it. Whether photos for the Japanese are readily available, I am not sure but the work involved would not be great if I had names to work with.

Also, I think the unitboxes are very well done. Similar to those PzB, which is what I was trying to mimic anyway. However, simply for consistency across the games I will put together some unitboxes for this title.

I should have known this job was not quite finished  Rolling Eyes

(Edit: Unitboxes now added at the end of the other downloads)
Quote this message in a reply
08-26-2019, 02:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-04-2020, 08:04 AM by Green.)
Japan '45

Update of my unitboxes for version 1.01 of Japan '45, added to the downloads. Still not sure if these add any value.

- A problem with the Marine unitbox in my previous version has been corrected.
 - The American 'flag' symbol I used previously has been altered to work with the new Naval artwork.
 - A unitbox for the French has been added.

While I am at it, there are a couple of other things I have been thinking about...

Shading

I find the shading on the 2D Magnified View and 2D Zoom-Out View is too dark for me. This may just be something to do with my display settings but I have been trying some different options with the shading artwork, to try to increase its transparency. The issue is primarily to do with using the Reachable Hexes option when moving units. I want to be able to see where I can move but also what is in hexes adjacent to the movement path.

[Image: 2dmag.jpg]

[Image: 2dmagMod.jpg]

[Image: 2dzoom.jpg][Image: 2dzoomMod.jpg]

It is not ideal but it is the best I have been able to come up with. Any thoughts?

WW1 Artwork

I have a problem with the artwork for the WW1 games which is almost certainly unique to me. The graphics using similar faces for soldiers of all nationalities is fine, but unfortunately the most commonly used face closely resembles someone that I know! Sounds trivial but trust me, this is unbelievably distracting. So I have being thinking of doing a Mod. So far I have only done the British in France '14. I doubt I can get unit insignia for other nationalities but hopefully leader photos should generally be available. Here is a sample;

[Image: ww1.jpg]

Since this Mod would require changing all the unit art, it is a big job and probably not worth the effort. But while I am thinking about how to proceed, if anyone has any comments/suggested improvements I would be interested in hearing them.
11-08-2019, 07:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-04-2020, 08:04 AM by Green.)
Budapest '45 - Additional Soviet Leader Images

[Image: Budapest%20sample.jpg]

The Budapest '45 game does not name most of the Soviet leaders, so my Mod could not include images for them. To get around this I have created revised OOB files which include the names that I was able to find. The Mod ("Budapest '45 Gold Soviet.zip" ) is at the end of the other downloads. Note that the altered OOB files do not affect how the game plays in any way and so can be used in PBEM against opponents that are using the originals OOBs, without causing any problems.

This Mod is independent of my original Budapest '45 Mod, and only contains the additional Soviet (and a couple of Rumanian-Allied) files. I have not combined the two Mods in case some people are not be comfortable with overwriting the original OOB files.
11-08-2019, 08:01 AM,
(11-08-2019, 07:26 AM)Green Wrote: Budapest '45 - Additional Soviet Leader Images

[Image: Budapest%20sample.jpg]

The Budapest '45 game does not name most of the Soviet leaders, so my Mod could not include images for them. To get around this I have created revised OOB files which include the names that I was able to find. The Mod ("Budapest '45 Gold Soviet.zip" ) is at the end of the other downloads. Note that the altered OOB files do not affect how the game plays in any way and so can be used in PBEM against opponents that are using the originals OOBs, without causing any problems.

This Mod is independent of my original Budapest '45 Mod, and only contains the additional Soviet (and a couple of Rumanian-Allied) files. I have not combined the two Mods in case some people are not be comfortable with overwriting the original OOB files.

John,

Wow - excellent work!

David
11-08-2019, 01:10 PM,
(11-08-2019, 08:01 AM)Strela Wrote: John,

Wow - excellent work!

David

Thanks David. I appreciate it. I had not planned on doing these originally but was motivated by the news that Indragnir was doing a Campaign Mod for the game. I will need to do an update when his Mod is released but thought I might as well upload these now.

John
11-19-2019, 01:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-04-2020, 08:05 AM by Green.)
Updates for El Alamein '42/ Sicily '43/ Tobruk '41/ Tunisia '43

[Image: Italian%20sample.jpg]

Primarily to add the Low Reliability symbol to some Italian vehicles. Unfortunately the various OOB's within a game can differ regarding whether the vehicles are designated Low Reliability or not so the symbol is not always relevant for a given scenario. A rough guide is as follows;  

El Alamein '42 - Relevant to all scenarios, except for the Semovente 47-32 and Semovente 75-18 which are Low Reliability but only in scenarios using the McNamara OOB's. I have used a black symbol for these two, as a reminder of this (see example above).

Sicily '43/Tobruk '41 - Relevant only to scenarios using McNamara OOB's.

Tunisia '43 - Relevant to all scenarios (as they all use McNamara).

Hopefully now all Low Reliabililty vehicles have been covered. If anyone is aware of any others, let me know. It is a minor thing but I think it something that should be displayed in some way.

I have also added a revised Czechoslovakian Unitbox for Tobruk '41 as the previous version incorrectly used the Polish color scheme. Apologies.

New versions have replaced the old ones in the downloads section.
12-05-2019, 09:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-04-2020, 08:06 AM by Green.)
Update for Moscow '42

Additional Soviet leader images as well as some other minor changes. The new version has replaced the old one in the downloads section.

[Image: m42%20sample.jpg]

When I did my original Moscow '42 mod, I only looked for images relating to those leaders that already had images provided in the game. The 'logic' for ignoring those without an image was that if they did not already have one, there was no point in looking for one. Actually this was just laziness as I knew that some of these would now be available. Because this has always bugged me, I have finally attempted to fill the gaps.

I have found images for around 55 additional Soviet divisional commanders. This leaves just over 40 unaccounted for, as well as many of the brigade commanders. Since some PzC games have less than 50 named commanders in total this just illustrates the mind-bending scale of this game.

Because of the overlap between this game and Moscow '41, I have decided to update the OOB files for that game to include the Soviet commanders (in the same way I did for Budapest '45). I am almost finished and will upload the files shortly.
12-25-2019, 04:33 AM,
Hey John,

Do you have any plans on creating a Japan '46 set?
12-25-2019, 06:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-25-2019, 08:56 PM by Green.)
(12-25-2019, 04:33 AM)Compass Rose Wrote: Hey John,

Do you have any plans on creating a Japan '46 set?

No, Chad, I had no plans as I do not own the game. But I am happy to do it, if you (or anyone else) wants it. There is no real work involved, since we are only talking about a small number of unitboxes.

All I need to know is the folder names for each unitbox. In Japan '45 for example, these were American, American-AB, American-Marine, British, French and Japanese. I assume these are unchanged in Japan '46 but I believe there  will also be additional nations.

The only problem would be if there are nations not represented in any other PzC game. In this case I would need to have a copy of the 2DSymbolsLg.bmp file to obtain the color scheme.

John
12-25-2019, 08:52 PM,
American
American-AB
American-Marine
British
Canadian
Commonwealth -> Australian (will fix this in the mod lite I uploaded)
French
Hungarian -> Imperial Japanese Naval troops
Japanese