• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Market Garden maps
05-22-2019, 10:48 PM,
c_Question Mark  Market Garden maps
I suppose this question is for David -- are there any plans to spruce up the maps in Market Garden '44 Gold ?  Even after the initial Gold pass, they are still quite horrid / uninspiring.  I do know that I am not the only one to think so as well, if I remember correctly.  Thanks.
"Plans are nothing; planning is everything." Dwight D. Eisenhower
Quote this message in a reply
05-23-2019, 01:00 AM,
RE: Market Garden maps
(05-22-2019, 10:48 PM)beldurax Wrote: I suppose this question is for David -- are there any plans to spruce up the maps in Market Garden '44 Gold ?  Even after the initial Gold pass, they are still quite horrid / uninspiring.  I do know that I am not the only one to think so as well, if I remember correctly.  Thanks.

Great question!

If you remember, we have remapped this area when we created France '40 Gold. So work has been done. That said, where as the France '40 map has north as 'up', Market Garden's map was turned so that what is up is actually north east.

To retrofit our new map into Market Garden would mean laying out every scenario again.

We haven't planned to do that, but we haven't completely excluded it either. So there is a possibility...

David
05-23-2019, 02:11 AM,
(05-23-2019, 01:00 AM)Strela Wrote:
(05-22-2019, 10:48 PM)beldurax Wrote: I suppose this question is for David -- are there any plans to spruce up the maps in Market Garden '44 Gold ?  Even after the initial Gold pass, they are still quite horrid / uninspiring.  I do know that I am not the only one to think so as well, if I remember correctly.  Thanks.

Great question!

If you remember, we have remapped this area when we created France '40 Gold. So work has been done. That said, where as the France '40 map has north as 'up', Market Garden's map was turned so that what is up is actually north east.

To retrofit our new map into Market Garden would mean laying out every scenario again.

We haven't planned to do that, but we haven't completely excluded it either. So there is a possibility...

David

I do hope that this map is redone.  It is probably at the top of my wishlist.  Thanks for your time, David !

All the best,
Travis
05-23-2019, 09:20 PM,
Have you tried Jison's Map Mod.......http://www.mapmod.se/index.htm
05-24-2019, 12:56 AM,
The question was around enhancing/replacing the existing maps, not just changing the map graphics.

Here are a series of shots which probably illustrate my point;

A quick look at the Marketgarden map shows that it is nothing like what we have in the expanded France 40 map.

Essentially, the original map has Eindhoven, Nijmegan and Arnhem lined up from south to north. I'm guessing that the original map was rotated so that up is not north, but rather north north east.

Here is the source map that the new France '40 map used. Note where Eindhoven is (all images can be right clicked for full size);

[Image: Post%2020190107_5.jpg]

Here are the game maps side by side. The left hand map is the original Marketgarden map, the right hand taken from the France '40 map. You can see this first map that the locations are roughly equivalent on both (all images can be right clicked for full size);

[Image: Post%2020190107_1.jpg]

On the next two maps, you can see how the maps diverge. Look at the different coloured circles. They denote the same town. Essentially, Eindhoven is off the new map to the left.

[Image: Post%2020190107_2.jpg]

[Image: Post%2020190107_3.jpg]

This final map has Eindhoven centered so that the relationship of the towns can be shown;

[Image: Post%2020190107_4.jpg]

So as you can see we can't just substitute one map for the other, but would have to lay out every scenario again. That's not an inconsequential exercise. That said, the new map is much better (see the full river at Arnhem?) so we will see...

David
05-24-2019, 01:03 AM,
Thanks again, David ! I really hope this update can be made at some point soon ! :)

All the best,
Travis
05-24-2019, 06:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-24-2019, 06:22 AM by dukemat.)
sounds like he  (the original poster) was talking about graphics...."spruce up"
05-24-2019, 07:58 AM,
Thanks for the MapMod link, duke, but that is rather moot as that mod does not support 2D terrain slope in the PzC series.
06-04-2019, 03:58 PM,
(05-24-2019, 07:58 AM)beldurax Wrote: Thanks for the MapMod link, duke, but that is rather moot as that mod does not support 2D terrain slope in the PzC series.

That’s an easy fix, just replace with Strela’s file.