• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Gameplay updates in REN 1.05
02-10-2019, 09:13 AM,
Gameplay updates in REN 1.05
Hello All,

I saw there is a new update to REN. I really liked the variety of scenarios in this game, but I had some issue with it as a model of period warfare, and I am curious if the new update addresses any of those issues.

Specifically:

a) The inability of pike units to attack in column means they can be held up at bridges or gates indefinitely (and that the AI tends to suicidally march them into contact in a formation which cannot attack)

b) the lack of combined arms units means that shot units must be unhistorically dispersed over wide frontages, far from supporting pike, or they will cause disorder for both units, as well as negate the defensive benefits of pike blocks.

Anyone care to comment on whether the new update has improved the model of period warfare?

Thanks,
Sedo
Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2019, 03:46 PM,
RE: Gameplay updates in REN 1.05
(02-10-2019, 09:13 AM)sedomlsr Wrote: Hello All,

I saw there is a new update to REN. I really liked the variety of scenarios in this game, but I had some issue with it as a model of period warfare, and I am curious if the new update addresses any of those issues.

Specifically:

a) The inability of pike units to attack in column means they can be held up at bridges or gates indefinitely (and that the AI tends to suicidally march them into contact in a formation which cannot attack)

b) the lack of combined arms units means that shot units must be unhistorically dispersed over wide frontages, far from supporting pike, or they will cause disorder for both units, as well as negate the defensive benefits of pike blocks.

Anyone care to comment on whether the new update has improved the model of period warfare?

Thanks,
Sedo

The scenarios weren't re-worked, as far as I am aware, it was just the engine changes that were added to SYW were added to REN. 

No new OOB files were coded for this; the artwork update was something that I had put together in 2017, when I had some unanticipated time off of work.   This means that I don't think that there are any combined arms units; I'm coding some of those into the engine, myself, but that is for something different.  I do tend to agree with your assessment of point B. 

Point A - I think that is probably a pretty accurate representation; I found though that when coding OOB files and using combined units (it sort of works with anything that can form block ... but I think the combined units are maybe a better representation because of the issues that you outlined in part B ... is that they tend to form block when cavalry is in close proximity, but don't necessarily do it when infantry is a threat. 

None of this, really was a factor in SYW as that title doesn't use block formation.

What it does have is a rule where detached units are not able to initiate melee.
Send this user an email
02-11-2019, 01:49 AM,
RE: Gameplay updates in REN 1.05
Maybe i remember it bad but until they introduce to test the pike+musket weapon for big block units (Tercio was the name no???) the way to simulate combined weapons in same unit was detach some fire units and stack them with blocks.

But yes, is true that the weaker area of REN was and still is in how fire units are doomed if they try stand and fire in open the big block units... if at least they can fire and have an extra action to retreat one hex after do the fire action is possible give them an usefull job VS block units and cavalry can still hunt them thanks to superior mobility.