• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Low Reliability Identification
01-13-2019, 06:05 AM,
RE: Low Reliability Identification
I would only add that you should be aware of how your icon impacts visibility of the units' factors when you right click. It's frustrating to me when, in some of the titles, the national flag or whatever is "whiting out" the text or numbers.
Quote this message in a reply
01-13-2019, 06:50 AM,
(01-12-2019, 11:12 PM)MikeC Wrote: Useless comment: If you guys would game with Detroit vehicles, you wouldn't have to worry about low reliability.  Jester

Somewhat less useless comment: This thread makes me want to re-read "Death Traps" by Belton Cooper, a vehicle maintenance officer in the U.S Third Armored Division.

I've never read the actual book but I have read numerous comments about it. Part of my comments abut breakdowns by nationality were based on this plus also anecdotal stories about late war German panzers being difficult to recover and maintain. 

My father was in the R.E.M.E. (Royal Electrical Mechanicle Engineers) during the war and he was based at Stirling Scotland. His job was to repair tanks brought back from the front. Thankfully they had been well fumigated by the time they arrived but he still had interesting stories of tanks with 90 degree barrels and ominous holes in them. 

Later on he was in a Light Aid Detachment attached directly to a reconnaissance unit the 17/21st Lancers in Italy. He drove a Scammell recovery vehicle. 

He was never in the front line. The nearest he came to danger was acting as guard for POW's in Graz Austria. Not entirely safe as there were guards killed during break outs.
01-13-2019, 07:18 AM,
This is a nice addition and will certainly help identify low reliability units. I also agree that it should be placed in a position that doesn't cover information and other icons.
"You know, fightin' in a basement offers a lot of difficulties. Number one being, you're fightin' in a basement!" - LT Aldo Raine
01-13-2019, 09:05 AM,
(01-13-2019, 07:18 AM)Der Landser Wrote: This is a nice addition and will certainly help identify low reliability units.  I also agree that it should be placed in a position that doesn't cover information and other icons.

Good point, but the low reliablity symbol is part of the unit artwork so does not affect the info visibility.

The flag is part of the unit box artwork, so it does - for the Allies, at least. I have moved the flags to the left side, to avoid this.

[Image: a.jpg][Image: b.jpg]

But this ruins the mirror image layout of Allies versus Axis, so probably would not get official approval. But there are alternative unitboxes provided without flags.

I use different artwork that would not appeal to most people but I could make these available if anyone wants them. Frankly, I would rather not as they are a bit lame. Alternatively, the flag could be added to the unit artwork, but then it would not be optional. No real perfect solution...
01-13-2019, 09:13 AM,
... or the other optional which failed to occur to me was to move the flags to the left using the existing official artwork. Very easy and happy to do this is anyone needs it.
01-13-2019, 01:55 PM,
Would people prefer the national flag moved to the left to prevent it blocking the data on the back?

It will mean that the images aren't a mirror image as pointed out by Green, but it will simplify issues.

The reason I ask is that I will include the spanner in the next patch if there is time, but I need to decide what happens with the national markings.

Feedback appreciated,

David
01-13-2019, 02:14 PM,
(01-13-2019, 01:55 PM)Strela Wrote: Would people prefer the national flag moved to the left to prevent it blocking the data on the back?

It will mean that the images aren't a mirror image as pointed out by Green, but it will simplify issues.

The reason I ask is that I will include the spanner in the next patch if there is time, but I need to decide what happens with the national markings.

Feedback appreciated,

David

David, having tried it, I think it looks good moved to the left and the lack of the mirror image is not noticeable unless you go out of your way to look for it, in my opinion.
01-13-2019, 02:53 PM,
The national flag could be moved to the left, but as mentioned earlier, it destroys the existing Allied/Axis Unit Box symmetry. Plus it requires moving the national flag for all of the Allied units to the left to maintain uniformity.

I think that Green hit on an excellent idea by proposing to embed the new icon in the Unit Box art work for those particular units.  A quick check of the units listed at the start of this tread indicates that there are 12 units that require the new icon.  Adding the new icon to these 12 units to either the left or right as appropriate limits the amount of work needed to add the icon and preserves the existing Allied/Axis Unit Box symmetry.

If this cannot be accomplished, then I suppose moving the national flag to the left would suffice.
"You know, fightin' in a basement offers a lot of difficulties. Number one being, you're fightin' in a basement!" - LT Aldo Raine
01-13-2019, 05:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-13-2019, 05:07 PM by Liebchen.)
(01-13-2019, 09:13 AM)Green Wrote: ... or the other optional which failed to occur to me was to move the flags to the left using the existing official artwork. Very easy and happy to do this is anyone needs it.

(01-13-2019, 01:55 PM)Strela Wrote: Would people prefer the national flag moved to the left to prevent it blocking the data on the back?

Feedback appreciated,

David

"Mirror image" is an esthetic matter. Reading the stats and factors affects play.

The imagery interfering with the text has bothered me for a while, actually, I just never mentioned it to anyone.
01-13-2019, 05:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-13-2019, 05:52 PM by Strela.)
I'm going to move it to the left hand side - the aesthetics is nor too bad. I could fix this by embedding the flag in every image but that is just too onerous at this point.

Possibly in a future patch.

The revised unit boxes and low reliability image will be in the upcoming patch.

Also keep in mind Alt version unit boxes are included for those that don't want the national insignia.

David