• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Low Reliability Identification
01-13-2019, 08:52 PM,
RE: Low Reliability Identification
(01-13-2019, 02:53 PM)Der Landser Wrote: The national flag could be moved to the left, but as mentioned earlier, it destroys the existing Allied/Axis Unit Box symmetry. Plus it requires moving the national flag for all of the Allied units to the left to maintain uniformity.

I think that Green hit on an excellent idea by proposing to embed the new icon in the Unit Box art work for those particular units.  A quick check of the units listed at the start of this tread indicates that there are 12 units that require the new icon.  Adding the new icon to these 12 units to either the left or right as appropriate limits the amount of work needed to add the icon and preserves the existing Allied/Axis Unit Box symmetry.

If this cannot be accomplished, then I suppose moving the national flag to the left would suffice.

Just to clarify. The low reliability symbol was not causing any problems in terms of the artwork layout - it simply needs to go on the opposite side to the flag. As you say, it affects a small number of units and it will, in fact, be added directly to the artwork of those units. The issue of moving the flag was due to the unrelated problem of the Allied flag symbols (which are part of the unit box artwork) obscuring the unit data.
Quote this message in a reply
01-13-2019, 09:09 PM,
Yes, I understood the implications of the flag etc. If I was doing it right, I would embed the flag in every image, but that means player don't have the choice of removing it (easily) if they want. It was more a time issue though.

Here are examples of the graphics in game - unit cards front and back. The infantry are included to show a 'normal' unit with the flag on the left...

[Image: Post%2020190113_1.jpg]

David
01-13-2019, 10:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-13-2019, 10:59 PM by ComradeP.)
I don't really mind the flag mixing with the unit stats on the "reverse" side, but I can see why it might be an issue for some as the flag clipping through the text, combined with the fairly small font size might make it more difficult to read for those using smaller resolutions or with decreasing eyesight.

As to the spanner: I think it's a good idea, and it's good to see that it's being picked up by the team. Placing the icon next to the unit name is probably the most practical option. Some vehicle models like the Char B1 bis and Panzer IV are wider than the unit name box which would mean either the model would end up on top of the icon, or the icon on top of the model if it were placed horizontally below the counter (though it might fit vertically position below the counter).
01-14-2019, 04:58 AM,
(01-13-2019, 09:09 PM)Strela Wrote: Yes, I understood the implications of the flag etc. If I was doing it right, I would embed the flag in every image, but that means player don't have the choice of removing it (easily) if they want. It was more a time issue though.

Here are examples of the graphics in game - unit cards front and back. The infantry are included to show a 'normal' unit with the flag on the left...

David

Sorry for the confusion, David. My remarks were in response to Der Landser's comments. I knew that you had already resolved the problem. And I think your solution is the way to go. Adding the flag art to each unit image is unnecessary work for no real gain. This way the flag is optional and also, for those like me that like to play around with this stuff, it can be easily customized.
Thanks for all your help with this.
01-14-2019, 05:01 AM,
(01-13-2019, 05:06 PM)Liebchen Wrote:
(01-13-2019, 09:13 AM)Green Wrote: ... or the other optional which failed to occur to me was to move the flags to the left using the existing official artwork. Very easy and happy to do this is anyone needs it.

(01-13-2019, 01:55 PM)Strela Wrote: Would people prefer the national flag moved to the left to prevent it blocking the data on the back?

It will mean that the images aren't a mirror image as pointed out by Green, but it will simplify issues.

The reason I ask is that I will include the spanner in the next patch if there is time, but I need to decide what happens with the national markings.

Feedback appreciated,

David

"Mirror image" is an esthetic matter. Reading the stats and factors affects play.

The imagery interfering with the text has bothered me for a while, actually, I just never mentioned it to anyone.

OK, I checked out the situation in game.  I recently upgraded all of my PzC titles to the Gold standard, so I never experienced the issue in the old HPS versions.  I agree that it is important to be able to view the information and that this problem needs to be addressed.
"You know, fightin' in a basement offers a lot of difficulties. Number one being, you're fightin' in a basement!" - LT Aldo Raine
01-15-2019, 06:46 AM,
(01-13-2019, 09:09 PM)Strela Wrote: Yes, I understood the implications of the flag etc. If I was doing it right, I would embed the flag in every image, but that means player don't have the choice of removing it (easily) if they want. It was more a time issue though.

David

Hi David,

Is this change going to be made in all of the existing Gold releases ?

Thanks,
Travis
01-15-2019, 03:48 PM,
(01-15-2019, 06:46 AM)beldurax Wrote:

David

Hi David,

Is this change going to be made in all of the existing Gold releases ?

Thanks,
Travis