• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Operation Cobra Rev 2
12-09-2018, 01:31 AM,
Operation Cobra Rev 2
Hello Blitz Nation:

I have recently revised the Operation Cobra Scenario.
New files uploaded and available on the database.

Now is the part where I tell you how great it is... Whistle

Or, maybe just check it out?
Green Sherlock Search Sherlock Clues

If you don't like what you see...there's always this... Voodoo Doll 

• Size 10
  • 50 Turns
  • Breakthrough Scenario
(ahem...a true breakout...if your Allies get off the chain...your Axis' will be scrambling to find some rabies vaccine)
SLIGHT Hypothetical which repositions the Panzer Lehr armored division to the south.  This hypothetical makes for a much more balanced battle, as historically, the Panzer Lehr was destroyed by the USAAF on the first day.

This is all OLE's fault...lol...he recently pinged me about starting a new team game and I've been planning on making these revisions long ago...so he got me off my butt...and here you go.

Changes include revised victory levels, shorter game length, and thanks to Ole an entire Regiment of tank riders have now also been corrected and placed where they belong.

You know?...this war game stuff may just catch on...

Regards,

Dan
Quote this message in a reply
12-26-2018, 04:19 PM,
RE: Operation Cobra Rev 2
Dan...uh...where do I find it???

I'm lost
12-26-2018, 11:28 PM,
Is that you Jim?
Long time no see!

How is Todd these days?

I checked the scenario database and it's there, sorts under "O" for Operation Cobra.
No asterisks...since I made a revision...I wasn't entirely sure if the asterisk(s) stayed or went?

Page 27 on my scenario list when I looked her up.

Home >> Scenarios >> The Matrix Games version of West Front >> Operation Cobra

If you still have trouble pop me an email and I'll send you the files.
Nice to hear from you Jim...Happy Holidays...

Regards,

Dan
01-03-2019, 03:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-03-2019, 03:52 PM by Death~Dealer.)
Hi Dan,

Yep it's me Jim...Happy Holidays and nice to hear from you too!

Haven't talked with Todd at all not sure what he's up to...

---------------------------------

I found your scene, thanks-

If you're up for a game or need a play-tester let me know...think I'm going to jump back in to some H2H...I still have a sweet tooth for the larger scenes or team play.
01-04-2019, 04:16 AM,
We can ALWAYS use some FRESH MEAT...I mean dedicated scenario testers!...;)
I'll make sure to get you in the next team test if you're ready willing and able.

Hill 112 is my last "biggun" you may want to check her out.
Much destruction and dismemberment going on with that one...

I'm turning over a new leaf actually, because I want to make sure Ed/HSL plays one of my scenarios before I'm dead and pushing up daisies... Rolling Eyes

Wait for it...a SIZE 6 for you Ed!
Thanks to Steven/tiger88, that pestering devil with a fervently bubbling creative mind, I created a new Villers Bocage scenario.

Warning...small doesn't always mean simple...
Some choices to be made.
10 turns, and it may be too long...something I almost never hear from any female...

Villers44
I'll be posting it up on the Scenario list in a day or two.

Nice to hear from you Jim.
Do me a favor and email me if you like...my new PC I lost a lot of contact info.  

Regards,

Dan
01-04-2019, 09:11 AM,
Dan, Thanks!

Please don't think I want them all small. I do prefer the SM 5, 6, 7, &8. Tens I reserve for team games.

What I find hard to take is the "large" scenario that has the outrageous time frame. "Here is my size ten scenario with 5,000 turns, that covers three days of battle and each hex is a mile not 250m. Along with two pages of house rules, you have to imagine a platoon is a division." Batman eek

That actually turns me off. To me, that designer should find a game more in scale with what they want instead of changing this game to meet their needs. Sweep

A designer who makes a ten hour scenario that is within scale in time and space is fine. I will probably not play it unless it is a team game. But, as long as it is in scale it is fine. And, I've never had issue with anyone who wants to play big games in scale. Salute4

I think the smaller scenarios 2, 3, & 4 are fine to play and require good tactics. Whistle

Plus, I find it hard to have an hour of me time to play, let alone looking for hours to play one turn.

Farmer

HSL
01-04-2019, 09:41 AM,
HaHAHa! Dan you're funny man!!

Count me in on whatever- I'm ready to get my panzers forced to retreat and smashed with AP through their rear armor facing! That's always a treat when watching the replay...

Or...just when you have the enemy on the run and your racing firepower forward to cut their legs off and deal the killing blow...the infamous truck blockade waits just ahead, filled to the brim hex after hex after hex with wagons, trucks, or even single motorized leaders with a command rating of 1...

I agree with HSL, keep it to scale or play a different game!!! And who wants to play a game they'll never finish with 500 turns???!!

I'll send that email brother, you send me back some virtual beer and we're good.
01-04-2019, 10:02 AM,
I de-scaled a tuna once or twice...

Yes Ed I know what you mean...this one is actually scaled UP a little because Villers Bocage would be oh...two hexes by two hexes...lol... So I blew her up a little bit to make it playable. 10 Turns. It's place in time and space is debatable, but I hope it exists on your hard drive soon as a random collection of ones and zeros. Almost done with it. Another test or two should do it.

There is another scenario out there already for Villers Bocage...and I do not wish to disparage his/her work...but my version is called Villers44. Soon to be at a theater near you...

It's an ambush.
Wittmann's Tigers have to hit and run.
Or...maybe they stay and do just a little bit more damage?

That is the first decision for this scenario.
Once the British armoured column releases Herr Wittmann is seriously outnumbered.

Regards,

Dan
01-04-2019, 03:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-04-2019, 03:22 PM by Death~Dealer.)
I'll just put my foot in my mouth, eh...

I'll take my foot out of my mouth now to say this:

Scaling UP to make a kick-ass Villers-Bocage scene so the map is not 2 hexes is OK.

That's not the problem...it's when creative folks try to change the basic game to something completely different than what it is...like creating the ENTIRE BATTLE OF THE ATLANTIC on West Front...that's the problem.
---------------------------------

Apologies for turning your scenario thread into a huge rabbit hole, Dan...
01-04-2019, 10:07 PM,
Greetings All from the fat man from Cornland, USA...

OK Ed, I threw the gloves down and further insults may be forthcoming but in the meantime the challenge is on when Viller44 hits the TV screens near you. Pick your poison my friend and we'll have at it! When we're done we have fuel to tear apart the designer! That's a lot of fun in its own right!

I think Dan said somewhere about fresh meat. Well when your swimming in a shark tank its all fresh meat, Isn't it Dan?

OK my sales pitch....wait for it, here it is...

Somewhere long ago when I was extremely handsome, more reckless, ignorant, less needful of alcohol and brash I read where some fellow said that the Campaign Series is a great "Brigade Level" game where one moves and engages in combat with platoon size units.

My vision of a Brigade in CS: Roughly 3 Battalions and some support companies.

In my designs I've always tried to live by that, keeping the forces on the board no bigger than a Brigade (2x) in force total. With that you get a scenario in size 7-9. Add some artillery and airstrikes and the scenario is manageable in play and time.

The 250 meter hexes and roughly 6 minutes of time is the finite scale we have to live with. Some of these super large scenarios are a lot of fun to look at but in terms of the game scale kinda miss the mark. One of my pet peeve's is handling with any degree of accuracy the time transition from day to night if needed in a large scenario. Sure there is a way to mechanically set this with the game engine but night actions are way different than day actions as far as the individual units are concerned and I don't think the game scale or engine allows for that adjustment well. 

One scenario, and I don't remember the name or the author, tries to reenact the German 6th Army or part of it being surrounded at Stalingrad. Its a hell of a lot of fun to look at and my hats off to the designer for his intestinal fortitude in making it but I know for sure I would never start turn 1. For one thing, I would be afraid the engine would crash due to heavy loads mid game and all my hours spent would be down the drain.

Finally, One of my faves in scenario design is the great and powerful "von Niemack". In my honest opinion he got it right and his scenarios have stood the test of time. A lot of his creations are spot on classics giving any CS player much to do and think about yet still manageable with time. Personally I have had a lot of hours of enjoyment playing his creations and I truly wish he would have made more!!

Cheers!
John