• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

thin hex edges?
12-01-2018, 05:37 AM,
thin hex edges?
Does anyone know of a thin hex edge option, or mod, for the Gold series games? I hate the big fat hex edges. They have disappeared now from PB games - North Afirca has nice thin edges which give a better impression of scale and look more natural. But the gold series, as far as I can tell, ships with the ordinary fat hex edges. Does anyone know if anyone has done a mod to thin them a bit?  Thanks.
Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2018, 08:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-01-2018, 08:12 AM by KAreil.)
RE: thin hex edges?
Do you mean that the hex outlines that are part of the graphics should not be shown?

The Gold versions (at least the Mius Demo I have got) include a subfolder "No Hex Outline" in "Map" that allow this. Just copy them from there into "Map" and overwrite the default files.

Then you only have to disable the additional "hex outlines" in the Options in the game they are gone. If you keep that setting on you get thin edges.
"Tapfer. Standhaft. Treu." - PzGrenB.13 Ried/Innkreis
12-01-2018, 09:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-01-2018, 10:07 PM by phoenix.)
Thanks, but no. I mean the hex edges. The graphic that brings contours into relief. The relevant files are the 2dHexSides50 and 100 files. I have some I've done myself, but they're a bit clumsy, not like the beautiful thin edges David has now produced in the North Africa PB title.
12-02-2018, 03:22 AM,
(12-01-2018, 08:07 AM)KAreil Wrote: Do you mean that the hex outlines that are part of the graphics should not be shown?

The Gold versions (at least the Mius Demo I have got) include a subfolder "No Hex Outline" in "Map" that allow this. Just copy them from there into "Map" and overwrite the default files.

Then you only have to disable the additional "hex outlines" in the Options in the game they are gone. If you keep that setting on you get thin edges.

Thank You for that info,  KAreil!   I still think the old Map was better.  Still seems like they went backwards as far as Map Graphics go, or maybe they were trying to make it look like the OLD Board Games.  
I may just change that also.  I guess I can use the Old Map files and copy over the New files.
12-03-2018, 06:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-03-2018, 06:24 AM by Outlaw Josey Wales.)
Should have stayed with Normandy standards. It looks better. As a matter of fact, they should do the same for all the different series. These are computer games, not the old flat maps of board games. I like the look and am disappointed in the NA look. Still playable, but sometimes I have to lean in closer to the monitor to see a difference. It doesn't have to be major, but a little more pronounced would be nice. Maybe have both in the game under map options and let the player choose which he likes to play with.
12-03-2018, 06:58 AM,
Actually, I would be the reverse, OJW. I would rather they looked like military maps (which don't usually have hexagonal shapes depicting natural features) and the new Gold series goes quite a way towards that with the urban graphics, especially. I would MUCH prefer PB to look 'to scale' - so each hex represents 250m of land, in which case houses, villages and cityscapes would be better to scale if drawn like the Gold series standard, imho. My query is about those giant, thick hex edges which we also used to have in PB, but which are gone now. So, tastes differ, I guess!! Like you say, it's nice to have options to cater for diferent tastes. I would second that.
12-03-2018, 02:01 PM,
Hex edges or difference in elevation? The Normandy relief map in 2d looks good. If talking about hexagon, I just turned those off. I don't play with hex overlay. The reason for the hex overlay is mostly for movement cost, I'm guessing. There is some game like that out there, Market-Garden. I think Matrix has a couple like that.
12-03-2018, 05:47 PM,
Yes, I mean the elevation graphic - the hexSide.
12-04-2018, 01:34 AM,
You can use the older files I believe in the new Gold series games. Just check with David Freer on what files to grab from the old set. The file he sent me was called: 2DHexSides100.bmp

If you find that in your original installation files it works. Doesn't have any hex contour edge at all. Use the Contour button if you want the contours to show up. It might be a different ground color than the newer one ....
12-04-2018, 03:20 AM,
Thanks Bill. I am using files with no hex sides, in fact - I deleted them myself, which is easy enough to do. I wanted a file with thin hex edges, such as they use in PB. But if no one has done such a mod then that's ok. Thanks.